Corny Keg Depressurise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braindead

Reaction score
Hi there
Has anyone released all the gas from their carbed corny keg to add another adjunct and then re-pressurised.
Would this ruin the carb of the stout or will it be fine?

It's not going to appreciably change the carbonation of the beer if you put it back under pressure right after adding your adjunct.

However, to reduce oxidation you should purge the headspace a number of times. I'd say 10 at least, and 20+ will get you close to perfect.

Mongoose, sometimes I wonder if you're a little psyco {; 5 purges probably OK, considering there is trace amount of O2 in the CO2 anyway.

It's not going to appreciably change the carbonation of the beer if you put it back under pressure right after adding your adjunct.

However, to reduce oxidation you should purge the headspace a number of times. I'd say 10 at least, and 20+ will get you close to perfect.
Doug sent me a chart once, iirc its closer to 30 purges :)

Last edited:
Oxidation aside, the issue you really want to watch for is having the beer foam up while your in a panic to reset the lid...just be sure you have ducks in a row and are prepared to set the lid quickly....

Upside is the beer foaming co2 out the top of the keg while you struggle to fasten the lid will do a nice job of purging lol

Latest posts

Back