Corny keg care

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
Hi!

I just got my first two corny kegs. Yes, I'm very excited. Unfortunately my taps are en-route, and im waiting on a chest freezer to start my keezer build. (lucky its cider season and beer has taken a back seat for now)

Id just like to ask, how do you clean and store your corny kegs?

It looks like mine came pressurized, and still have some cleaning solution in.

I haven't taken anything apart yet. I know I need to keep the parts separate as they may not be the same from keg to keg. Also, one of the beer out posts has some very slight rust on it, where the ball lock clips on to it. Is this a problem?

I may be over worrying, but I just want to make sure these are in tip top condition for when I fill them!

Try searching Youtube. That is what I did when I first got kegs and there are many videos showing how to take them apart and clean them. Lots of great info out there.

I always totally break down a new-to-me keg and remove and discard all the o-rings. Then I clean the outside of the keg with a Scotch-Brite pad and some Goo-Gone to get any label residue off, and work the pad hard to get a nice satin shine to the keg. Then I scrub out the inside of the keg and the lid with another Scotch-Brite pad and some dish washing liquid, clean the small parts with a stiff brush, and clean out the dip tubes with a dip tube brush.

After a thorough rinsing I reassemble the keg with all new O-rings, then totally fill it with a standard Star-San mix, put 30psi pressure on it, remove the gas QD, give the post poppets a quick push to get the Star-San up in the dip tubes, then spray the lid and posts with Star-San in a spray bottle, looking for leaks. If it makes it that far I set it with the rest of the idle kegs and let the Star-San do its thing until I need the keg for beer...

Cheers!

i would recomend against dishwashing liquid like Dawn dish soap only because if you dont completely get all of it out, it will effect the head retention of the beer you put in the keg. you just have to completely rinse it and you will be fine. stuff like oxyclean or barkeepers friend are less 'soapy' and are easier to rinse away.

the rest of your method is pretty similar to what i do. i will suggest though that you buy a dip tube brush. any keg that has once been used for soda will smell like it. if you dont scrub the inside of the dip tubes and other small openings (where dried soda likes to hide) it will continue to smell like soda... ask me how i know :eek:

So, you leave the keg filled with Star-San for an extended period? Any issues? I was wondering if the mild acid that Star San is would etch the stainless over time.

Have you been doing this for a while? No long term issues noted?

Thanks!
Jaz

I always totally break down a new-to-me keg and remove and discard all the o-rings. Then I clean the outside of the keg with a Scotch-Brite pad and some Goo-Gone to get any label residue off, and work the pad hard to get a nice satin shine to the keg. Then I scrub out the inside of the keg and the lid with another Scotch-Brite pad and some dish washing liquid, clean the small parts with a stiff brush, and clean out the dip tubes with a dip tube brush.

After a thorough rinsing I reassemble the keg with all new O-rings, then totally fill it with a standard Star-San mix, put 30psi pressure on it, remove the gas QD, give the post poppets a quick push to get the Star-San up in the dip tubes, then spray the lid and posts with Star-San in a spray bottle, looking for leaks. If it makes it that far I set it with the rest of the idle kegs and let the Star-San do its thing until I need the keg for beer...

Cheers!

So, you leave the keg filled with Star-San for an extended period? Any issues? I was wondering if the mild acid that Star San is would etch the stainless over time.

Have you been doing this for a while? No long term issues noted?

Thanks!
Jaz

This is what I do, no issues. Once a keg blows, I rinse with hot water, then hot PBW for 30 minutes, then rerinse, then hot starsan. I've kept kegs at least a month after this with no issues so far.

I've got a spare corny that sits filled with StarSan - great for racking canes, tubing, etc. It might sit months at a time before I change it out. As long as you mix it to the appropriate dilution, it's fine - the inside of that keg looks great - and it's been the same keg for about 5 years....

Latest posts

Back