CORNY dip tube cutting for secondary/racking, etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
so i have a few cornies with the curved beer tubes that end in the center of the keg bottom. they're 2.5gals. how much should i cut off the end of the tube to leave behind trub and yeast?

then i also have a few of the torpedo kegs from morebeer, with straight diptubes- BUT- the torpedos are convex bottom, not concave like most cornies. anybody have an idea how high to trim those badboys?

thanks

I cut about an inch off my center tube keg that I use for secondary fermentation.

I cut about an inch off my center tube keg that I use for secondary fermentation.

and that's also 2.5gal?

so when you say you cut off 1", do you mean an inch of length off the end of the dip tube? or an inch of height off the dip tube, as measured with it standing up vertical?

I cut off 1/2" from the bottom of a 5G keg and that works pretty well. I ferment in the keg and I dry hop with free floating pellets. I take the extra step of a stainless steel screen over the end of the dip tube to help keep the hops from getting sucked into the dip tube and clogging it. Remedy for this when it happens is to put a black, liquid out QD onto your CO2 tank and blow the gunk out of the tube. Oh, and I also bought extra used dip tubes online so I could serve in those kegs at another time if needed.

I use kegs for fermenting, and I have cut a couple of my dip tubes to make transferring easier. I cut more than I need in most cases (4 inches), then I use a length of 1/4 inch silicone tubing to fine tune the length, depending on how much trub I expect. I can also use the silicone to lengthen the dip tube back to serving length if I need to.

I also subscribe to the gentle bend camp. You never know if you want to sell it or use it for serving to the bottom again. Yes the stainless steel mesh works great. Good tip!

Back