Cornelius Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewman

Reaction score
Anyone know if I can just buy a normal type of hand pump for these kegs, I found one on the web and only one........

normal type tap like on the commercial kegs....... I don't want to force carbonate and I don't want to bother with the CO2'z

Well, as with normal kegs, if you use a hand pump, it'll go flat unless you drink it quickly. It will also get infected if it sits around because you're pumping in regular air.

You'd really be shortchanging your beer in my opinion. Just pick up a 5 pound CO2 tank and regulator and you'll be a lot more happy. It's not that hard.

Also, you need to make sure your keg has regular keg fittings or your pump has soda fittings...a regular keg pump won't go on a regular soda corny...

I see your point, I could go through 5 gallons in a night a few times a year with no problem, I just did not want to bother with the CO2....

hmm maybe those little keg's they are like a gallon or so and can use the small CO2 cartridges.

Just out of curiosity...why do you want to avoid using a regular CO2 tank and regulator? It's gotta be cheaper than those cartridges in the medium run, and it's the ideal solution...

Janx said:
Well, as with normal kegs, if you use a hand pump, it'll go flat unless you drink it quickly. It will also get infected if it sits around because you're pumping in regular air.

You'd really be shortchanging your beer in my opinion. Just pick up a 5 pound CO2 tank and regulator and you'll be a lot more happy. It's not that hard.

I would worry about the beer getting bad tasting long before I would worry about infections. The oxygen exposure would degrade it faster than infection would set in. Who likes to drink wet carboard?

the cost of the canasters, also lazy, would rather just mail-order them to the house. I was looking more at the 3 gallon ones, in which I can get rid of it in a day at my house, but only like a few days a year, or even for camping where I would drink it over 2 days with a bunch of friends.

the party pigs can go at party by me, but the pouches are $4 each and that is a bit much...... just trying to keep the costs down.

Back