Corn Syrup Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykrausenhurts

Reaction score
I was watching a baking video on pecan pie and got to thinking about using corn syrup as a replacement to honey in a quasi-mead. Has this sort of thing been done in the past? If not, I was considering following the JAOM recipe and replacing honey with corn syrup, and oranges with apples. I may possibly add some lemon juice as some bitter since the rind would be missing from the oranges. Any thoughts or smacks to the back of the head would be appreciated.

I think that's called un-distilled moonshine / white lightning. May as well use cane sugar. Similar kits are sold under the name "liquor quik".
It's definitely not Mead.

I think that's called un-distilled moonshine / white lightning. May as well use cane sugar. Similar kits are sold under the name "liquor quik".
It's definitely not Mead.
Actually, I think it's called NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I know it would be in a category all of its own and not a mead but I just was trying to think of a cheaper sugar to use other than mead

Actually, I think it's called NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

So helpful.

One observation and one question.
Corn syrup often (always) contains or is made with high fructose corn syrup. I believe that there is some question about health issues with HFCS and that is when you may be using a few teaspoons of this manufactured product. But you will be using a few pounds of this in each gallon... My question is more practical: Does yeast treat HFCS in the same way it treats regular fructose?

Corn syrup often (always) contains or is made with high fructose corn syrup. I believe that there is some question about health issues with HFCS and that is when you may be using a few teaspoons of this manufactured product. But you will be using a few pounds of this in each gallon... My question is more practical: Does yeast treat HFCS in the same way it treats regular fructose?

Nutritionally it is the same. But I am not sure in terms of brewing. I may just experiment with it.

So helpful.
Yeah, that was pretty snarky. Sorry. I just think it sounds kind of gross.
Then again, whiskey is often distilled from corn. It's pretty raw straight out of the still, but with long barrel aging it becomes okay. Would you consider barrel aging your corn syrup concoction?

HFCS is almost the same as invert sugar syrup. It might be slightly higher in fructose and lower in dextrose, but not by much. It is totally fermentable, just like table sugar, and after it's fermented it is just alcohol -- so you get alcohols health effects instead of HFCS's :)

I'm pretty sure Karo syrup contains sodium benzoate (a preservative that inhibits fermentation) and vanilla.

HFCS is almost the same as invert sugar syrup. It might be slightly higher in fructose and lower in dextrose, but not by much. It is totally fermentable, just like table sugar, and after it's fermented it is just alcohol -- so you get alcohols health effects instead of HFCS's :)

I'm pretty sure Karo syrup contains sodium benzoate (a preservative that inhibits fermentation) and vanilla.

Ahh, that is good to know. That is what I was considering using.

Back