Corn Syrup for carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmitz

Reaction score
I'm fresh out of priming sugar and instead of trekking 45min to my not so local homebrew store, I thought Corn Sugar!

Problem: I cant find it in the local grocery stores, Its not granulated Cane sugar, right? So I grabbed a bottle of light Corn Syrup.

Is this wise? Is so, how much? boil 3/4 cup in w/ 1 cup water?

I'm ready to rack and starting to freak out, I'd rather not use table sugar.

Thanks guys for help.

P.s. Its a Rasberry Cream Ale.

It should work, but I'm not sure of the measurements. 3/4 -1c sounds about right. Light corn syrup also contains vanilla, which would probably be pretty good with a fruit beer. Let us know how it turns out.

BTW, I would boil it in a couple of cups of water prior to trying to mix it with your beer to dissolve and sterilize it.

Also, I just noticed that 30g of powdered sugar has 120 calories and 30mL of light corn syrup has 120 calories. I have no idea if this information will help you, being that one is a solid and not corn sugar :p
BTW - I'm on my second glass of my hopback amber at 7% abv, so I barely make sense to myself ;)

Thanks Kephren, I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Edit: Just called my local brew shop, they said dont use corn syrup (corn sugar works) as it has no dextrose. Going w/ table sugar on this one.

Sugar is sugar at the end of the day. Since you are just using a bit for the purpose of carbonation I would recommend using a more refined form of carbohydrate. Corn sugar = dextrose? or fructose? Table sugar is fine bud, plenty more things to worry about than something as trivially small as this.

Back