Corks popping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooney

Reaction score
Brewed two gallons of mead just after I left my wife. Because I had up sticks and left I didn't have every thing. But I did have 1.3 kg of Tanzanian leatherwood honey and 1.3kg of dark Greek honey. So I chucked each into a 5l demi John with a sachet of champaign yeast between them. Then both had 2 years with the occasional rack and were bottled 6 months ago. Both meads were the best I have made though the tazmainian leather wood was amazing with an F.G of .01 just sweet enough. Since then every single bottle has popped it's cork. Doing a small batch I got to drink 1 bottle and 6 popped. Any idea why after 2 years and being cristal clear and stored in my cool old coal cellar this yeast has come back to life?

It happens to the best of us when a mead doesn't ferment completely dry. Only way to make sure this doesn't happen is to stabilize with k-meta and k-sorbate.

Latest posts

Back