Cork bottle caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabbz

Reaction score
Unearthed a whole jar of these unused bottle caps. Anyone ever use anything like this for bottling? Anything that I should consider if I were to attempt to use them? There's cork lining the whole inside. Best guesses indicate these are from at least the 1960s if not earlier.

1408998141530.jpg

You have a collectors item. The bottles that were capped with this style of cap weren't meant to be in storage for a long time.

I would think that after all these years the cork would be fragile. And yeah, new caps are very cheap.

By the way. Where did you find the jar?

Hey, free is free but I understand your point. I thought about just using a couple on the last batch I make then using them for real if they turned out ok.

They were in my grandma's basement. She said my great grandma used them to bottle ketchup she made.

Thought it would be cool to invent a family inspired brew and bottle with the caps. My grandpa made maple syrup so that would be part of the batch.

Actually, they probably will work just fine. They look like there in good condition. So yeah, try a few and see how they turn out. I bet they will.

Back