Coriander in Wit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentk14

Reaction score
I am about to transfer my Blue moon type wit to the secondary and was wondering if anyone has ever heard or used coriander in the secondary to get the aroma from it. I put the coriander in the last 10 min of the boil but just wondering what you guys think.

Primary: Blue moon Wit
Secondary 1: White Chocolate Pale
Kegged/On Tap: tonight there will be the White Choco

Up Next: Mac and Jacks African Amber

I'd give it the taste test to see if it needs more. If so, you could make up a small amount of corriander tea and add it to the secondary. Although, your wit really doesn't need a secondary. The style should not be cleared. Two or three weeks in the primary and go to bottle or keg.

i agree, you really need to steep some lightly crushed coriander to get the flavor out of it.

i've been told its hard to overdo corriander...however I'd taste it first and see if it really needs it or not.

I wouldn't say it's hard to overdo coriander. I have a wit that I'm down to my last 3 bottles of and I don't recall the exact amount of coriander I used, less than an ounce I know, but it has a VERY strong coriander taste and all I did was add it during the last 10 minutes of the boil. It's not completely unpleasant but it's definitely strong and if I brew that batch again I'm going to scale back how much I use.

Turkeyfoot Jr. said:
I wouldn't say it's hard to overdo coriander. I have a wit that I'm down to my last 3 bottles of and I don't recall the exact amount of coriander I used, less than an ounce I know, but it has a VERY strong coriander taste and all I did was add it during the last 10 minutes of the boil. It's not completely unpleasant but it's definitely strong and if I brew that batch again I'm going to scale back how much I use.

+1 on this one. I know my problem though, I crushed my coriander very fine on accident (a little too long in the food processer...) so the wit I have now is a bit strong on that flavor. No unpleasant, but not my favorite.

Back