Corded drill for grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
Looking for easy to find recommendations on a corded drill to use on a grain mill. The last battery drill either did not turn the rollers of d shot the grains through without crushing. I can't seem to find many drills with variable speed. I read the recommendation from the electric Brewery website but that one priced at $400. I'd be happy up to $100 or so but I see some for $49. Hard to tell what to get.

Yup the one he posted is what i have and it works great. The ability to lock the trigger at a specific speed is great. Set it and forget it, i just have it plugged into a power strip and turn the strip on when I want the mill to run.

Looking for easy to find recommendations on a corded drill to use on a grain mill. The last battery drill either did not turn the rollers of d shot the grains through without crushing. I can't seem to find many drills with variable speed. I read the recommendation from the electric Brewery website but that one priced at $400. I'd be happy up to $100 or so but I see some for $49. Hard to tell what to get.

I use a Sears Craftsman 1/2" corded drill, variable speed with a 6 amp motor. You can get them for about $63 these days. It powers my Monster Mill 2 Pro at full speed. Things got a little dicey when I milled 100% wheat one day, but...it made it through. Don't ever mill 100% wheat if you can avoid it.

My cordless started smelling pretty much right away. I switched to my plug-in Hitachi variable speed which has a massive amount of torque and it complained too. I finally went to my 50 year old Craftsman with gear-reduction and 1/2" chuck and that did the trick. That's what I continue to use. So maybe garage sale? Ebay?

If you can swing $140, this one is a beast. It's variable speed and delivers a lot of torque. I've used mine with a 1" auger bit to drill through landscape timbers--no problem. I don't think you'll have trouble cranking grain with it.

iYbZQ1J.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup the one he posted is what i have and it works great. The ability to lock the trigger at a specific speed is great. Set it and forget it, i just have it plugged into a power strip and turn the strip on when I want the mill to run.

Guess I should have read the manual. I've used this drill for 6 months now (love it) but didn't realize it has a speed set. How do I do this with the dial on the trigger?

Guess I should have read the manual. I've used this drill for 6 months now (love it) but didn't realize it has a speed set. How do I do this with the dial on the trigger?

Hold the Trigger, and spin the dial until its at its slowest setting. If your hooked up to your mill this will likely cause the drill to stop spinning all together, then slowly turn up the speed knob until its spinning at a rate that crushes your grain as you want and then push the little yellow button on the handle thing in.

Ive found the button to be a bit of a PITA, i had problems getting it to actually set, if i remember correctly you have to fully pull the trigger to set it so dont spend a lot of time on the speed setting until you have it locked on...it may take a few attempts but eventually it should lock...what else can you expect from a HF Tool lol.

I ordered the Harbor Freight one linked to above and received their new substitute /replacement model that has bad reviews on their site (mostly complaining about the reverse direction with cement drilling and paint mixing) but I LOVE it! Working great for about a year or so now. Works so well. The trigger speed control works awesome, I can go very slow, medium, whatever. So for home brewing purposes if you order and get the one without the speed knob don't fret, it's still a great drill.

Rev.

I use a $20 black and decker I got from Menards. Sometimes a bit touchy (when my dad is milling at least!), but usually I just turn it on and go about my business.

If you can swing $140, this one is a beast. It's variable speed and delivers a lot of torque. I've used mine with a 1" auger bit to drill through landscape timbers--no problem. I don't think you'll have trouble cranking grain with it.

iYbZQ1J.gif

Do you find having too much power causes the grain to fly through without crushing?

$39 black and decker from menards (7 amp). Bought it only for that purpose and it works fine. Keyed check is the way to go to avoid slipping.

Totally agree. I think a keyed chuck is pretty important. I've had slippage frequently with hand tighten drills but never with a keyed chuck.

Rev.

With the two drills I used to have it wasn't slippage from drill to mill, but inability to fine tune the speed to go from stuck to spinning out of control. But I just have the Barely Crusher mill so maybe that is a factor.

7 Amp B&D corded, key chuck. Here's my super-ghetto motorized mill. Built it in 90 seconds with a couple of wood clamps and a piece of scrap pine :) Anyway, that drill has gone through a LOT of grain over the last 5 years.

How does that work, actually? How does the speed of the mill affect the gap setting?

If the speed is too rapid the grain shoots through. Only one roller is attached to the crank so if that one spins really fast the other doesn't keep up. I assume even the best configured mills have some uncrushed grains every batch for this reason.

Might be my mill. Might be less of an issue with 3 rollers.

If the speed is too rapid the grain shoots through. Only one roller is attached to the crank so if that one spins really fast the other doesn't keep up. I assume even the best configured mills have some uncrushed grains every batch for this reason.

Might be my mill. Might be less of an issue with 3 rollers.

I have one fixed and one adjustable. I've got mine tightened down as far as she'll go, under 30 mil I think. Anyway, I run it wide open without any issue with efficiency. Crush looks good to me.

If the speed is too rapid the grain shoots through. Only one roller is attached to the crank so if that one spins really fast the other doesn't keep up.

It doesn't work that way. The gap is set to whatever you have it at. So long as it's not so far open that grain just falls through, obviously it wouldn't be set that way or you'd hear the grain steadily falling to the bottom of the bucket, then the gap is set so that for the grain to pass though it must be crushed to enough extent to fit through the gap. A higher drill speed has been said to shred grains more and lead to a finer crush or more flour than using a slower speed, but a higher speed will not somehow allow grains to pass through uncrushed.

Rev.

It doesn't work that way. The gap is set to whatever you have it at. So long as it's not so far open that grain just falls through, obviously it wouldn't be set that way or you'd hear the grain steadily falling to the bottom of the bucket, then the gap is set so that for the grain to pass though it must be crushed to enough extent to fit through the gap. A higher drill speed has been said to shred grains more and lead to a finer crush or more flour than using a slower speed, but a higher speed will not somehow allow grains to pass through uncrushed.

Rev.

Last time I tried it with 2 different drills the high speed caused it to shoot grains through faster than the other wheel could handle. Shrug.

Last time I tried it with 2 different drills the high speed caused it to shoot grains through faster than the other wheel could handle. Shrug.

There's a gap, if the second roller isn't turning the grain usually just doesn't pull. It could still shred grains it contacts due to friction, but the thicker grain still must be crushed to pass through the thinner gap. And if you have a problem with the second roller not keeping up you need to be sure it's aligned properly so it rolls completely smoothly and doesn't bind up anywhere in rotation. <shrug>

Rev.

Buy a router speed controller for $20 at HF. I like a drill that had the hand that screws into the from. I drilled a hole through the mill base and mounted the drill like a motor. It is an old, old BD 1/2" w/o variable speed. I bought the speed controller and dial in what I want. It has an off/on switch too.

You want a 1/2" corded low speed drill with gear reduction. I have the harbor freight D handle drill, and also an old 1/2" craftsman.

A name brand drill of this type, Milwaukee or dewalt sells for $2-300. Harbor freight 40 - 50.

Latest posts

Back