Copyrighting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutattheDevil

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Just wondering if anyone has ever looked into copy writing any of their beer names, Recopies labels or Brewery names? I may be coming onto some very good very large equipment that I might start using in my local area to start making the switch over to larger commercial brewing. I was goign to try going through the library of congress but I didn't know if anyone here had ever tried anything or had any info!

Cheers all!!

You'll want to look into registering trademarks rather than copyrights.

I work at a lawfirm that does copyright and patent law along with a ton of other corperate law.. and TexLaw is right, you want to look at USPTO.

I'm going to have a friend upstairs see if she can tell me how much to register a logo/name just in case I ever get famous for my brew.

doubtfull but hell, who knows.. i might be able to suit someone for infringeing on my logo.

jake

I work at a lawfirm that does copyright and patent law along with a ton of other corperate law.. and TexLaw is right, you want to look at USPTO.

I'm going to have a friend upstairs see if she can tell me how much to register a logo/name just in case I ever get famous for my brew.

doubtfull but hell, who knows.. i might be able to suit someone for infringeing on my logo.

jake

You know what Bass should totally sue this bar down the street from me for trademark infringement. They have a big red triangle outside and they don't even serve Bass. Apparently the neon triangle is how they identify the bar, the building has no name or anything. As I was walking by I figured "Wow I had no idea this place was here, they look like a bar, and they serve Bass, probably a nice irish place I should stop in..."

So I walked in and they don't even serve Bass, it was a total BMC place with lots of mixed drinks. Additionally the place was just full of the butchest looking women I have ever seen and they all glared at me for some reason, like I wasn't supposed to be in there... I don't think it will be staying in buisness long anyway with ugly unfriendly women like that frequenting the place they will have no luck attracting a decent mixed drink clientel.

Anyway, long story short, that place is totally infringing on Bass's trademark, and they should do something about it, or at least get this place to serve Bass. ;)

I believe that Bass is actually the FIRST EVER trademark... I think I read that on their website or wiki or something.

Are you sure it isn't an upside down triangle?? With all the butch women, I'm just guessing...

I believe that Bass is actually the FIRST EVER trademark... I think I read that on their website or wiki or something.

Are you sure it isn't an upside down triangle?? With all the butch women, I'm just guessing...

I was thinking the same thing...

Back