Copper tubing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanhagerty

Reaction score
I want to purchase a 50' roll over copper tubing and found a good deal on some 1/2" refrigeration copper tubing. Is there an issue with using this size?

Sean

The bigger diameter, the more contact the coolant has with the wort which speeds up the temperature drop. I believe my DIY immersion chiller has 5/8" tubing. If it were me, I would use wider tubing, but if you are getting it for free then give it a try.

Are you making an immersion chiller? The two most common sizes are 3/8th inch ID with 1/2 inch OD, and 1/2 inch ID with 5/8th inch OD. Either works fine. I used 1/2 inch ID, 5/8th inch OD tubing to make mine. I bought another one from More Beer to use as a pre-chiller, and it was advertised as 1/2 inch, but it was really 3/8th ID, 1/2 inch OD.

You didn't say if you were talking about 1/2 inch ID or 1/2 inch OD. Either will work. If you use compression fittings for the hose connections, just make sure they are the right ones.

Bendable copper Refrigeration tubing is always measured as the outer diameter. I've seen a lot of chillers that are 3/8" copper and several that are 1/2"

the short answer is that it will work just fine. Wish I could find a good deal on copper tubbing. I have a 25' section that I made into an immersion chiller that works great for 5 gallon boils (it would work better with more, but it still works good). I have mine hooked up to a pond pump (available at any lowes or other hardware store that has pond equipment) -I hook the pump up to the chiller, and the other end (outlet) drops back into the bucket. The bucket has a 10 lb bag of ice, with some water in it (just enough to prime the pump, as the heated water from the outlet will melt the ice -if I really want to drop the temp quickly, I add salt to the ice -just be sure to flush the copper tubing with fresh water afterward, to cut down on corrosion.)

Back