Copper oil line--reuse/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broadbill

Reaction score
Hi-

I just had the heating oil supply line to my boiler re-routed by my plumber. He ran a new line and left the old line in place. I had the idea this is something I could take down, clean and re-purpose for brewing. There is nothing wrong with the line itself, it just not routed by the builder/HVAC guy properly. The plumber chose to run a new line and try to re-run the old line.

Any ideas? Its about 20 feet long, maybe 3/8 diameter, has a plastic coating on it. Probably has heating oil in it that would need to be flushed out. Could also remove coating as well.

Any crazy thoughts?

Use it to run coolant through for kegs (wrap it around the outside of them) for when you take one to a party...

I wouldn't use it in a pot at all... Maybe as a pre-chiller for your wort chiller... Although, you are in S. Maine, so the chances of you needing that are pretty slim. Even for what passes for summer up there in Nirvana... :D

Personally, I'd sell it for scrap and use the money for ingredients. :D

Back