Copper Look

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunkRod

Reaction score
While the stainless look is nice, I've been toying with the idea and visual of a "Copper Kettle". No pracitical reason other than looks and the ability to then use that name in reference to the "brewery". (navy diver thing). That being said, has anyone else come up with an inexpensive way to put on a copper covering on a keggle? I am in the process of building a 3 keggle HERMS and was thinking that I'd just copperize the MLT (to avoid the flames of a burner doing bad things to whatever copper trick I come up with). I've thought foil, tape, paint... Was interested in knowing if anyone else has done something that they'd like to share.

Electroplate it. IIRC the first step in chrome plating is to lay down a layer of copper. Check with a chrome plating shop in your area.

sounds expensive....and I wouldn't want the inside done (I don't think) just the outside. Any other ideas?

you could try plating it yourself if you have a DC power source (like computer power supply).

if you want copper on your keg, the only way is plating or an immitation copper-colored paint or metal stain of some type, which has its obvious disadvantages.

electroplating is the way to go, and if you dont want to have it done, the only other option would be to try it yourself. the result wont be as good most likely, but might not be too bad if you clean them as well as you can and do it properly.

I would just get some copper sheet/ flashing and bolt it or rivet it to the top and bottom rung of the kettle. Should be fairly easy and cheaper than electroplate.

http://www.quickshipmetals.com/copper/copper-flashing-rolls-0216-24.html

(this is just one site i found)

That's what I would suggest also.

This thread has me wondering if I have enough copper sheet left over to make my MLT match my copper keezer? My brewing rig is pretty ugly though, so if I prettied up the MLT it might look really out of place.

DIY it in your bathtub with toothpaste, salt, vinegar and h202

Last edited by a moderator:
If I recall correctly, to get copper to stick well to SS you do a tin strike coat first so the copper will stick better. I may have this backwards though. Any platers out there?

Back