Copper Hop Sock (version of the Hop Spider)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
Hi All-

A few months ago I read all the DYI entries about Hop Spiders and Hop Socks and made this one for myself. After using it for a few batches with 1 gallon paint strainer bags from Home Depot, I have to say that I love it. I will never make another IPA without this!!!

A big thanks to everyone whos design influenced me. The biggest difference with my design is that I used a piece of scrap copper and riveted it together. Also, I really recommend the "Turn-Key" style dry hose clamp because installing the sack is tool free.

I really like the robe hook, it is very easy to stir the kettle without "spider legs" in the way. (This was not my idea, so I can't take credit for it!)

Photos:

003.JPG

004.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

<insert obligatory "Drunk Octopus will drink all your wort" post here>

Sorry cant help myself, those coat hooks always make me chuckle. Good idea though

Looks great. You might consider getting some 5 gal bags for it. Especially if you'll be using whole leaf hops.

hey, so i like this idea, but how safe are paint stainer bags? i checked some out at lowes, and i dont necessarily trust the ones that they had. what brand did you use, because yours looks like its nylon, and the ones that i checked out did not look like nylon. id post a link, but the ones that they have on the website are mislabeled and not actually the ones i checked out.

I use 1 gallon paint strainer bags from Home Depot (that is what is in the photos).

I can't speak to the safety.

So maybe this is a stupid question never made an ipa before and was thinking at making a DFH 60 minute clone.. So you just put the hops in that during the boil?

Yes, Hop spiders are designed to make it easier to strain out the hop debris when finished boiling. It arguabley can reduce teh bittering effectiveness of the hops some as the wort flow over them is restricted.

DrunkleJon said:
Yes, Hop spiders are designed to make it easier to strain out the hop debris when finished boiling. It arguabley can reduce teh bittering effectiveness of the hops some as the wort flow over them is restricted.

Thanks this makes since my next question was about wort flow.. looks good M1k3, I like the hanger idea

Back