Copper heating elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WPStrassburg

Reaction score
I bought this one for my RIMS Tube and it is 1" NPS LWD. It works great.

Rheem SP10552GL Element - 240V/2000W Copper Resistored LWD - 1 in. Screw-in

Firerychill.com or something like that.

I did some research on non-standard elements after finding that standard elements that you find in big box hardware stores cannot be used in certain situations. I had an Insinkerator 2.5 gal water heater which has a copper tank. The original element failed after about 20 yrs, and the OEM replacement was $87 for a 1500w 120v element.
The standard one I bought produced yellow water non-stop. Ultimately I found the element had corroded almost to failure in only about 2 weeks, but only after the pressure relief failed, and in an attempt to replace that all the other fitting started leaking. I was done with it, but saved the tank for potential beer brewing use. When I went to clean the interior is when I found the corroded element, and that explained the yellow water.

After a search on ebay, I found there are stainless elements with brass fitting. Basically the same as the OP posted, except brass & stainless. For $15 I figured it's worth a try. The OEM element is brass and copper it turns out. Which I'd found these first.

So far I've only tested it, but it looks promising. I'm still WIP on my brewing tree, and hope to use this for auxiliary hot water.

jleiii - How have the stainless elements with the brass base been working? Did you decide to "pickle" the brass base to account for any lead from the element produced in China?

Did you do anything to counteract rust at the base and did it rust?

as far as HLT elements I bought one of these and its working good... it has a brass base so no rust and is made in the USA so lead free as far as I know due to new standards. I thought it was peeling but recently discovered it was just a mineral buildup from using the 5.2 ph buffer powder.... its LWD and not ideal for a BK but so are the ones listed above ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4500-Watt-E...4704524-NEW-/200909059093?hash=item2ec71cf415

jleiii - How have the stainless elements with the brass base been working? Did you decide to "pickle" the brass base to account for any lead from the element produced in China?

Did you do anything to counteract rust at the base and did it rust?

I never did make use of this tank/element, so no further updates.

Back