Copenhagen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polecreek

Reaction score
Anyone ever quir the smokeless tobacco? Its been two weeks and I still want to crawl the wall. Im starting to think quiters never win. :off:I WANT A CHEW:mad:

I feel your pain. I've been off the dip for four days now. It's not been a pleasant experience.

I think I've torn through about 20 packs of Orbit gum in that time.

And the headaches, ugh.:mad:

I feel your pain. I've been off the dip for four days now. It's not been a pleasant experience.

Makes you wonder why you put yourself through the pain. 5th time I have quit in 20+ years.

Last dip 2/23/08. I STILL have cravings, but they are very short duration and happen randomly and not frequently at all.

Hit the natural health store and got some things that helped with the first months craving and flushing the crap from my body.

Stay with it. If you WANT it, you can do it. You have to REALLY FREAKIN WANT TO M@THRFRIKN QUIT!

Congrats on choosing, stay strong and you'll make it!

Good luck. I have quit for a year at a time, Think Ill go yell at the kids and talk to the dogs.

Good luck. I have quit for a year at a time, Think Ill go yell at the kids and talk to the dogs.
Good luck to you, too. I'm trying to take the money I would spend on a can and dump it an empty coffee jar. It makes me ill to think of the thousands wasted on that stuff.

I did, but it was a long time ago when I wore a younger man's clothes and was in the Marines, but I only did it for like 6 months. A little lump on my inner lip was enough to scare me into quitting. Turned out to be nothing and I've since learned that one can't get cancer in 6 months from tobacco.:cross: IMO, it's harder to quit than smoking, so good luck and stay strong.

Not to promote going from one habit to another, but if you find you just can't quit, a "safer" alternative is Swedish snus. You put it in your upper lip, so there's no spitting.
Because it is steam-cured, rather than fire-cured like smoking tobacco or other chewing tobacco, it contains lower concentrations of nitrosamines and other carcinogens that form from the partially anaerobic heating of proteins; 2.8 parts per mil for Ettan brand compared to as high as 127.9 parts per mil in American brands, according to a study by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Health.
And you can buy it here:Buy Snus, Order Swedish snus online world wide - BuySnus.com

I was just wondering the other day if you ever quit. I don't even remember how long ago that was that we talked about it. Good job!

To the OP - Yes, I have not had a dip since last Feb. I won't lie, it's a b!tch, but can be done. I kept a dime, penny or Jolly rancher in my lip as much as I could. It helped with the physical aspect of having something in there. It does start getting better after about 2 weeks but it really never has gone away completely. It is getting much easier now though!

Good luck and don't give up!

One of the guys at work chews (well, more than one, but I talked to this guy) and he said that it's even worse than smoking. He can still remember the first time he tried it. It was like a jolt to his system. Even made him feel a bit high.

Personally, I think it's disgusting, and would never do it, but I applaud anyone who can make the hard choice each time and keep off it.

Copenahgen is delicious. I only have about 2-3 chews a week; I gues Im lucky to not be hooked. I can still enjoy a fresh chew and not woory too much about the health aspects. I chewed a lot while I was in highschool and some in college. I just got sick of it. The only time I can do it is after a couple beers or while Im hunting/fishing. I never understood the guy who could throw one in at 6:00 am....gross

I quit a little over two years ago. I had tried several times prior, the longest period being six months. It was by far one of the hardest things I've ever done. I still get a craving every now and then, mostly when around coworkers and friends that still have the habit. The key is that you have to really, really want to quit. Half-assing it won't get it done!!

Good Luck to everyone that's trying!

I attempted to quit last week- made it three days, my chest hurt, heartbeat elevated, and got real shaky. I went cold turkey- maybe I'll work on tapering down.
Skoal long cut spearmint since I was 19-I'm 35

If it makes you guys who are trying to quit feel better, I think it's one of the vilest habits ever, and I'd never even consider dating someone who chewed. The idea of kissing them makes me sick to my stomach.

I feel your pain. It took me a number of tries to quit.

1. Cutting down - didn't work.
2. Nicotine gum - didn't work.
3. Nicotine patches - didn't work.
4. Chantix & determination - FINALLY SOMETHING WORKED :ban:

That was a year ago. I still have moments when I think chew would soon soooo nice.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Actually, today is my 2-year anniversary of quiting Skoal.

A couple of pointers:

1) you HAVE to be ready to quit. That's why I didn't try and quit on 1/1/07. I wasn't completely ready until 1/15/07
2) recognize what physchological habitat trigger your desires (e.g. post-meal, a few beers, anger, driving, etc.) and learn to accept you craving knowing that it will eventually pass
3) it will be hell for 4-6 weeks. Warn your family and friends. But IT WILL PASS
4) DO NOT justify a "small" jump off the wagon. It's too easy to say, "oh, I'll just have one chew." If you do fail, throw out the can immediately and think of all the money you just wasted.
5) Keep track of your days quit and money saved. If I averaged a can of mint skoal a day for the last two years at ~$5.09/can, that's over $3,700 in saved money for a habit that's disgusting, tumor causing, teeth rotting, etc...
6) Enjoy the weird feelings you get when you don't have a chew at your regular scheduled desire (see #2).
7) Read what Laurel said!
8) Seriously, it's hell, but you can do it if you're ready. IMO tobacco is so tough to break because of how addicting it is pyschologically. You'll be over the physical addiction in 4-5 days.

At this point, I'm 2 years completely tobacco free (didn't even realize it until this thread was posted). Eventually you may forget about it mostly, but still occassionally think about it. I've even quit cigars which has been sad, but I know if I have any nicotine, I'll head right to Circle K and pick up a can.

Oh yeah, one last point:

GET MAD at the fact that some stupid plant has that much control over your life, health, and finances!

One thing that helped alot the last time I quit was that everytime I wanted a dip i told myself I had to wait 15 minutes. I usually forgot all about it before the 15 minutes came.

Quitting chewing is so damn hard... i can go weeks without even thinking of smoking... my last room mate got me hooked on chew... i used it to get going in the morning... and i finally just put my food down and stopped... i still get craving over 8 months later, and expcet i will for years to come... Ocasionally i will have a dip of pouch tobacco or a cigar to take point out the fact to my body that i dont need it, but never more then 3 times a month...

keep fight man

Cheers

I'm doing this too... going on about a week and a half now. Decided it was finally time... I was 2 a day on my commute, but I worry more about fishin season... not craving it on the drive so I guess thats good. I have a few more months before fishing and hangin on my boat, so hopefully I'll make it through... smoking was never this hard

Fishing and hunting seasons are always the hardest for me too. I caved and bought some smokey Mountain herbal dog turd tasten stuff today, But its not tobacco.

Good luck to you, too. I'm trying to take the money I would spend on a can and dump it an empty coffee jar. It makes me ill to think of the thousands wasted on that stuff.

My father, and subsequently, my stepmother quit smoking years ago as an initiative from his work. He works at a printing company, so with all the paper around you could imagine why they wouldn't want any kind of fire around. But they used to budget money for smoking and as a personal initiative to quit, they diverted their cigarette money to vacation money. To this day, they take a VERY nice vacation about every two years. That should help incentive.

I have never smoked or dipped, but I grew up around it and have many friends who do/did. I've seen how it can control people and I sincerely applaud anyone who can make the decision to make that lifestyle change. My hat is off to the many of you who have successfully quit tobacco.

GET MAD at the fact that some stupid plant has that much control over your life, health, and finances!

I agree with this poster. You need to insult your manhood with some tough love, lol...

Look at how a stupid plant has hooked it's claws into you. Are you so much of a sissy that you can't go without it? What kind of man are ya?

For those of you who dip and have kids, I want to give you a little advice if you are looking for a way to discourage your children from chewing. My father unintentionally used this method on me and it worked like nothing else could...Ever since I was a small child, my father used me as his "spit cup changer". It was my charge to empty the spit riddled, wadded up paper towels in his plastic "spit cup" and replace with fresh wadded up paper towels. I nearly vomited every time and as a result have absolutely no desire to go anywhere near the stuff.

Although that method kept me away from chew, it had no effect on smoking which I had no desire to quit until almost 2 years ago when I got pneumonia. It was the sickest I have ever been and I was out of commission for 2 whole weeks during which time I didn't smoke a single cig. I couldn't have even if I wanted to. After I recovered, all of a sudden I couldn't stand the smell of cigarettes. I can't hang out with my friends who smoke anymore because just the smell of their clothes makes me nauseous. I have to hold my breath when I walk past people smoking because I am repulsed so bad. I realize I am a hypocrite and apologize to people all the time because I am now a militant non-smoker. I never thought I would be one of those...

winter green grizzly is my vice.

I quit smoking about 3 years ago, but somehow managed to start chewing in the process. Now I hate the smell of cigs, but still cannot bring myself to stop.

I really need to quit. Its on my list of things to do in short order.

The cost is negligable, compared to cope, or smoking. I am paying $2 for a can, and that lasts me a few days :(

I only do it when I'm at work, usually wintergreen Grizz. I go through 5-6 dips a day at work, sometimes more, but I rarely if ever do it otherwise. I was on vacation for a week recently and didn't even miss it. Back to work, back to dipping. I think it's just the association and that it gives a kind of pick-me-up when I'm sitting like a drone staring at the PC when I'm there.

I feel for ya man. I quit Copenhagen (I believe is the hardest to quit) a little over 4 years ago. My advice to you is to watch your eating habits because within a year and a half I put on over 100 pounds. I hit 329lbs. Good Luck with it.

I'll do a dip every great once in a while, but that's by far one of the worst vices i've seen people have.

I've been smoking for while, much more rewarding than chewing. Anyways, I love a cigarette with a brew

The only time I smoke anymore is mainly when i drink or have NOTHING to do but sit on the computer. half pack to a pack a day keeps me happy, i roll my own cigarettes too (I figured if i could roll my own smokes then i could make my own beer). Rolling with all natural tobacco is much nicer than smoking marlboro, camel or winston, blah

I've been smoking for while, much more rewarding than chewing. Anyways, I love a cigarette with a brew
h

*shudder*

I had a cigarette at a party this past December. Never again. I was shaking like a leaf and felt so nauseas. Horrible experience. I couldn't imagine sucking on dip ever again. My uncle caught my cousin once, made him swallow all of it. egads.

Red Seal Fine Cut Wintergreen is my vice.... Tried quitting several times, but it's hard as hell!! I guess when I am ready to quit I will.... But after using it for 16 years, it's a hard habit to break!!

Anyone ever quir the smokeless tobacco? Its been two weeks and I still want to crawl the wall. Im starting to think quiters never win. :off:I WANT A CHEW:mad:

I used to chew Levi Garrett sometimes, but never really developed the habit as I was too busy smoking most of the time. I quit smoking (after 23 years) and it was rough; but I did it. You might try sunflower seeds. I know it sounds odd, but I used to stuff my cheek with salty sunflower seeds in the shell & split the shells with my teeth. Moving the seed around with my tongue & spitting out the shell, in addition to chewing the seed, not only gave me something that filled the space that chew did, but it also gave me something to keep my mind (well part of it anyway) occupied & not thinking about things like smoking. I also ate grapefruit & strawberry candies when I was jonesing for a smoke. Maybe these things will work for you. Hope you find some of this info useful, GF.

I just put in a fat dip of Grizzly wintergreen, and I am freakin' lovin' it. I dip almost a can a day and have been dipping for nearly 20 years. If there is one bit of advice I can give, it is this - If you decide to quit, DON'T start back. Maybe it's just me, but I have quit for a period on four separate occasions. Each time I started back, my gums would receed a bit for the first week or two then stabilize. They are not quite bad enough to be painful.....right now. But I know that the next time I quit, there won't be any starting back without problems.
I started on Skoal and swapped back and forth between that and Kodiak until finally switching to Grizzly last year.
Sorry for the lack of encouragement. My wife wants me to quit, but I know I will never be successful until I want to. And right now, I am really enjoying it.....
I know shecky, I suck!

I just put in a fat dip of Grizzly wintergreen, and I am freakin' lovin' it. I dip almost a can a day and have been dipping for nearly 20 years. If there is one bit of advice I can give, it is this - If you decide to quit, DON'T start back. Maybe it's just me, but I have quit for a period on four separate occasions. Each time I started back, my gums would receed a bit for the first week or two then stabilize. They are not quite bad enough to be painful.....right now. But I know that the next time I quit, there won't be any starting back without problems.
I started on Skoal and swapped back and forth between that and Kodiak until finally switching to Grizzly last year.
Sorry for the lack of encouragement. My wife wants me to quit, but I know I will never be successful until I want to. And right now, I am really enjoying it.....
I know shecky, I suck!
Hell man, I know how hard it is to quit. I went from Cope long cut to Kodiak thinking that would be somehow less addictive.

After 4 beers tonight, I am jonesing in a big way. Maybe I should hit the sack.:D

Hell man, I know how hard it is to quit. I went from Cope long cut to Kodiak thinking that would be somehow less addictive.

After 4 beers tonight, I am jonesing in a big way. Maybe I should hit the sack.:D

NO CHEW SHECKY!!! You can do it!! don't do it!!

Back