coors original imitation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bostonkid

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to home brewing. I don't have a mash tun yet, but I am tryin to make a coors imitation. Are there any ingredient kits to use or receipes?

Also, where can I get cheap mash tuns, wort chillers or 30qt kettles?

Thanks guys

Do a Google search for home brew Coors. Do you have some kind of temperate controlled fermenter? Lagers need 45 degrees. And the rest you can make. Just look under the dyi.

There's recipes and ingredients for it. However that's a pretty ambitious and expensive first brew. Even if you have the equipment it's almost easier/cheaper to buy it....sorry.

the reason everyone says it's so hard to make is it's so bland, there is nothing to hide any flaws. if it's a normal ale, it would have flavor to hide extra or not enough bitterness. if it's a little bitter, extra flavor might hide the flaw, since coors has neither, it has to be close to perfectly brewed. don't fool yourself; bmc clones are about the hardest to make, and take advanced equipment and knowledge. being a lager, it takes a fermentation chamber at around 45 degrees for 5-6 weeks, also

Maybe it was my younger pallet, but "original Coors" was a fuller bodied beer. I'v brewed a few Czech style lagers and would like to find a good recipe for original Coors .
Any experts want to guess what are the likely hops used in the brewery back in the 70's and your best guess on a lager yeast that would be close?

Maybe it was my younger pallet, but "original Coors" was a fuller bodied beer. I'v brewed a few Czech style lagers and would like to find a good recipe for original Coors .
Any experts want to guess what are the likely hops used in the brewery back in the 70's and your best guess on a lager yeast that would be close?

By 'original Coors', I assume you mean from the 1970s, as opposed to the 1870s (when the brewery was founded)? Even going back only forty years, that's a long time to be guessing at these things, without some sort of documentation.

For hops, we can rule out anything newer than the 1960s - we know, for example, that when Cascade was first introduced in 1973, the only brewery that was willing to use them was New Albion, because all the others were using established strains (this is based on Jack MacAulliffe's own recollections on the subject, and there's little reason to think he was wrong). So, probably one of the noble German hops, at least by ancestry, though some of the early US strains such as Crystal are a possibility. I never knew the Coors of that era, myself, but if I had to guess it would be some Hallertau derivative.

The yeast is likely to be even more elusive; assuming it hasn't been lost to history entirely, it is probable that the only source for that strain would be Coors themselves, and they are notoriously uncooperative. Commercial breweries are generally very protective of their in-house yeasts, and the ones which are used by homebrewers are generally far removed from those the Big Boys play with. Ironically, the closest match maybe be Cry Havoc, which is allegedly based on a lager strain smuggled out of an Anheuser-Busch brewery some three decades ago. I would experiment a bit with relatively clean, malt-forward lager yeasts until you find something you feel is close.

From the 70's yes. Thanks for the great post. That explains why I've seen so much variation in recipes for Coors. I've got a friend that took a trip to Colorado during that era and is probably trying to relive that youthful experience hoping I can duplicate a memory with a Coors clone, but somehow its never the same as the 1st time :).... I'm intrigued though and will probably play around a bit using the suggestions above and tell him eureka, I got it! And will enjoy a good home crafted beer.

There is a member here that made a coors light clone. I think it was last year. It should be listed here under recipes. Might be a good starting point. but I learned first hand how un-co operative big breweries can be. I went to pabst's site,who bought Stroh's to see if they'd give me the recipe for 5 gallons of the old Stroh's bock that was very popular in the 70's. got nothing but crickets chirping so far...

Back