Coors Light? Any Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
My bother-in-law wants me to make him something similar to coors light? Any ideas? :confused:

I thought a 20 minute boil kit then water it down....:rockin:

I would just go buy him some Coors light :p Get it in the 5L mini keg and just tell him you refilled it. Don't forget to frost-brew it!

To be honest, it isn't worth the money, time or effort to recreate Coors light. Far cheaper to just buy it, just brew him something delicious and get him drinking ale.

i would try light lme or dme or 2row to an og of about 1050. if using extract, you might want to replace alittle with some corn sugar to make sure fg is low. if allgrain, just mash low.
.75oz of low aa hop like saaz or mt hood at 60mins
us05 or notty fermented in the 60s

probably wont be a coors light clone but i bet he'll still like it

Look for a recipe which uses a lot of adjuncts in place of malt, that way you will end up with a substantial lack of flavor and body. Sugar and corn should be in there as fermentables.

try this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/miller-lite-really-triple-hopped-123937/

which actually turns out a decent cream ale that is very similar to a lager. i prefer to increase the IBU and hop character, but if you do it as is, i'm sure he'll be able to drink a glass or two. i've also been not using the amylase enzyme, starting with a higher gravity to get me around 1.048. also, mash low and you'll get us-05 or notty to finish it dry 1.006-1.008.

i would try light lme or dme or 2row to an og of about 1050. if using extract, you might want to replace alittle with some corn sugar to make sure fg is low. if allgrain, just mash low.
.75oz of low aa hop like saaz or mt hood at 60mins
us05 or notty fermented in the 60s

probably wont be a coors light clone but i bet he'll still like it

You forgot the late addition of 50% water

If you brewed a cream ale or an American blonde ale with a clean ale yeast at cool temperatures, it would taste better than Coors Light but still appeal to a macro-lager drinker's taste buds.

I get the feeling nobody here likes Coors Light!! Funny, around here every store seems to carry it. But hardly any of the stores carry regular Coors. Weird.

Alright thanks to all who actually gave me a suggestion. I'll see what I can do. For all those who joke on coors light........ Grow up!!!!

Coors is making money and people like there beer. Perhaps you don't that's fine but someone has too since it very high selling product. I worked for anheuser-busch years back and coors company was taking us to cleaners.

How many of you started out drinking home brew or even premium beers? I bet not a lot of us. I know I made money drinking coors light by the case, playing last man standing while in the service. I don't drink coors light often anymore due I'll drink to many of them with out knowing.... However, I don't knock it. I was asking a serious question.

I know if most of us are honest we did drink the "Beast", "Natties-Ice", Coors, Bud and have great memories of those times.

Grow up!!! Nothing gives any of us the right to be "Beer Snobs!"

I love Coors Light. I'm more into styles than outright clones so I can't give you a lot of direction there. Here's my light lager. It's not a dead ringer, but it has a lot of the same characteristics:

(Assuming 75% eff.)
7lbs 2-row
1lb cornstarch

Mash @ 151F 2qts/lb, sparge to get 6.5 gallons pre-boil volume.

60 mins Hallertau .5 oz
30 mins Hallertau .5 oz

Irish Moss

Ferment with Wyeast 2112 for 1-2 weeks. Bright tank for a few days with gelatin. Mix 2:1 beer-to-distilled-water. Carb the heck out of it.

If someone asked me if I could brew them a BMC, I would say, "no it's not worth the time and money to me", just buy a case at the store, but I also explain to people that they are the most difficult type of beers to brew because of no real present flavor or color to hide flaws behind.
I brewed BM's Centennial Blonde for a New Years Party. My FIL (diehard Busch lite fan) also commented that this was my best beer to date. At first I only brewed it because I thought it'd be a good BMC drinker beer for the party, but I have to admit, it is one of my proudest accomplishments as a brewer so far so to the fragility of having nothing to hide behind if you suck at brewing. I'd suggest doing that recipe for him. Or BM's Cream of 3 crops.
They won't taste like Coor's Light, but they'll both most likely be very pleasing to him.

Take the first running of an all grain mash and make a tastful beer for yourself. Then take the second running to make the tastless brew for your brother. That is the way it used to be done in the old country when they drank beer all day long because it was sterilized and the local water was poluted. They drank the second running beer during the day for a lighter beer during the work day, and had the first running brew at night. Im sure that is the differece in production between Coors and Coors Light to some extent. Probably some topping off with water being done for Origional Coors.

Filter and Chemically treat the water for mashing. Ingredience of 2 or 6 row with Brewing Adjuncts of flaked rice, flaked corn. Add sugar to bring the alcohol content up because the wort was taken from second runnings. Small additions of an american northwest hop. Maybe a California common or Barvarian Lager yeast.

Cold condition it. Chemically treat it for clearing. Chemically treat to kill the yeast. Send it thru diatomaceous earth filters untill all the yeast and protiens and flavor is removed. Pasteurize it. Then put a Co2 charge to it.

Asking a Homebrewer to make Coors Light is like asking Grandma to make Oreo Cookies.

....and don't forget to salt it. Coors is heavy on the salt, I don't know whether it's a brewing salt or a late addition but you can definitely tell it's in there. That's why a MGD tastes horrible to a Coors drinker.

I agree that this is a very difficult style to get right - part of the reason that it takes more work than its worth. Its particularly well suited to a rigid factory protocol that the AB, Coors/Miller are so good at.

What most brewers find more distastefull than this beer itself is how most people in North America have been "educated" by the large corporations to belive that this is BEER - when it is only one particular small style of beer.

Having said that - If you think you are a pretty smart brewer, go ahead and try to duplicate this style. It makes for a good excersize in process control etc.

I'm just saying we might not like their beer, but why do we have to be "Beer Snobs"? Just because we brew our own that makes us snobs?

I love all beers, some more than others of course....I brew now but I still drink comercial beer as well, because honestly lot of them are good........

Nothing wrong with tail gatting with a nice six pack of good stuff and keep yourself primed with coors light...right?

I'm just saying we might not like their beer, but why do we have to be "Beer Snobs"? Just because we brew our own that makes us snobs?

I love all beers, some more than others of course....I brew now but I still drink comercial beer as well, because honestly lot of them are good........

Nothing wrong with tail gatting with a nice six pack of good stuff and keep yourself primed with coors light...right?

Swap High Life in for Coors Light and I'll agree with yah.

Two 30 packs and a weekend out camping in the woods... doesn't get much better.

How many of you started out drinking home brew or even premium beers?
I did, sorta. First beer I ever really like the taste of was a homebrewed stout a friend of mine gave me. After that it was a Newcastle Brown. (Which is probably just the UK version of Bud. :) ) Before that I was convinced I really hated beer. Turns out I really just didn't care for Pilsners. (Have a house that stank of MGD after my brother's clandestine high school party didn't help much either.)

I also don't like the tactics and approach of the big three. I personally have serious issues with a number of large companies, it's not just them. In a lot of ways we're getting what we pay for (or don't). If everybody stopped buying Bud it would cease to be as a company, which is a good reason for me to introduce people to good beers, or at least let them know that there are other things out there besides the single monobeer that has been pushed onto the American public. Monocultures are bad matter what you're doing.

These days if somebody were to buy me a bud, I'd drink it and not make any nasty comments, but I doubt I'd buy one for myself. Further I'd heard that BMC are making decent beers in other styles. I could care less, I fully expect those would go the way of the do-do the moment all the indies closed up shop, and they could go back to pushing a single beer.

These companies are evil pure and simple, and I don't think that anybody should support them, no matter how cleverly devised their beers are.

These companies are evil pure and simple, and I don't think that anybody should support them, no matter how cleverly devised their beers are.

This is rediculous. If you want to combat big business and support small ones, educate yourself on actual reasons so you can support your cause rather than undermine it.

I did, sorta. First beer I ever really like the taste of was a homebrewed stout a friend of mine gave me. After that it was a Newcastle Brown. (Which is probably just the UK version of Bud. :) ) Before that I was convinced I really hated beer. Turns out I really just didn't care for Pilsners. (Have a house that stank of MGD after my brother's clandestine high school party didn't help much either.)

I also don't like the tactics and approach of the big three. I personally have serious issues with a number of large companies, it's not just them. In a lot of ways we're getting what we pay for (or don't). If everybody stopped buying Bud it would cease to be as a company, which is a good reason for me to introduce people to good beers, or at least let them know that there are other things out there besides the single monobeer that has been pushed onto the American public. Monocultures are bad matter what you're doing.

These days if somebody were to buy me a bud, I'd drink it and not make any nasty comments, but I doubt I'd buy one for myself. Further I'd heard that BMC are making decent beers in other styles. I could care less, I fully expect those would go the way of the do-do the moment all the indies closed up shop, and they could go back to pushing a single beer.

Take a Deep Breath....It's just beer, meant for enjoyment...:mug:

I have never liked the taste of any BMC product, and doubt I ever will. I have no problem reviling the product, it just plain tastes like crap, independent of the politics of the parent companies. I don't think disliking Coors makes me a snob, but I'm not afraid to express an honest opinion.

Actually I found my batch of Am. light lager to be one of the more fun batches I've brewed. Super cheap grain bill, a challenge to brew clean, and it's a huge crowd please-er. I can't wait for more space available to brew more. It's a great style of beer, perfect for mass hot-weather consumption.

I have never liked the taste of any BMC product, and doubt I ever will. I have no problem reviling the product, it just plain tastes like crap, independent of the politics of the parent companies. I don't think disliking Coors makes me a snob, but I'm not afraid to express an honest opinion.

Your missing the point...It's okay to not like a type, style, or brand of beer. It's not okay to call it crap because you don't like something. :mug:

I agree. Sorry, it's crap beer. Hard to make or not.

I doubt I could ever make a Big Mac replica in my kitchen, but why the hell would I ever want to?

Ok, the fact that you do not like Coors lite, or want to make it may not make you a snob, but adopting a condescending attitude towards those that DO like it and DO want to make it definitely DOES make you a snob.

Yeah, condesending kinda goes both ways,,,,,,,

Our little dog was sitting in the floor licking his butt last night, and the ole laday says "why is he doing that"

I told her,, "well, he drank a wheat beer a cpl days ago, and he's still trying to get the taste out of his mouth"

This was a simple question that has gotten way out of hand....

I just really wanted to know if anyone had tried coors light or some light beers I might be able to brew for my brother-in-law. If he wants to buy the stuff and let me make it why I'll be happy to give it a shot.

Coors, Bud, even wheat beer has fans somewhere............

I think what you're looking for is something like this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/miller-lite-really-triple-hopped-123937/#post1381323

Use this for an extract version:
The book has an extract recipe if you want to try that. To me its not really the same thing.

2.25# Extra Light DME
1.5# Rice Extract Syrup
Hops to 16-18 IBU @ 60 min ~ 3.5AAU's
2.5 gal boil size
Irish Moss @ 10 min
1 tsp amylase enzyme in the 2ndary

Good luck with it. If you read that whole thread you'll see lots of feedback & some different variations.

Here ya go-guaranteed to please the BMC crowd:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/i-just-wanted-see-if-i-could-do-107109/

And to all you horse-pi$$ jokers: Let's see you actually show me the ability to brew it before you bash it. I'll bet money that you can't.

Of course.

That's because the BMC stuff are to the brewing science what the atom bomb is to particle physics.

All kidding aside I love a Budweiser from time to time, but you'll never catch me drinking the "light" fare. :ban:

This reminds me of the night I got my Mr. Beer kit... BMC guzzling/NASCAR enthusiast aunt says "Hey, can you make like, Budweiser with that?"

My response was "Yea, probably, but I'm not going to."

Back