Coors Light? Any Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer snobery is all about attitude and presentation. Thats why im much more of what I would consider a beer nerd. I love beer, I wanna know as much as I can about beer and how its made. Its simple there are alot of beers that I dont like the flavor of but I dont go around acting like an asshat about my opinion. So there fore i strive to be a BEER NERD.

:rockin: I agree 120 proof

beer snobery is all about attitude and presentation. Thats why im much more of what i would consider a beer nerd. I love beer, i wanna know as much as i can about beer and how its made. Its simple there are alot of beers that i dont like the flavor of but i dont go around acting like an asshat about my opinion. So there fore i strive to be a beer nerd.

winner!!!!!!!!!

It's a documentary about beer in the United States, and it talks in length about how tough BMC makes it for smaller, craft beers to come to market.

BMC uses this stuff to their advantage because our government allows it, and as such, capitalism mandates it.

BMC is publicly shared, and as such, required to make as much money as they can. The problem is our government lets them set up a cartel essentially (like the oil companies).

As to Beer Snobbery, I've seen a lot more of it from the craft brew folks than the BMC folks.

....to live in a world where we can just like beer for the beer and not who or how it's made................

I'm not getting beer snobbish here because I have absolutely no problem with BMC or people who drink BMC, but...

Does Budweiser in particular smell really, really awful to anyone else but me? I mean, it smells quite a lot like rancid urine to me. I've thought that since I was really young (6 or 7). A lot of my relatives drank it when I was younger and, because of the smell, I didn't drink beer until well into my 20s. I do not detect the same smell in either Miller or Coors.

It doesn't taste that awful. In fact, it doesn't taste like much of anything to me. But the smell is BAD.

Am I just crazy?

I'm not getting beer snobbish here because I have absolutely no problem with BMC or people who drink BMC, but...

Does Budweiser in particular smell really, really awful to anyone else but me? I mean, it smells quite a lot like rancid urine to me. I've thought that since I was really young (6 or 7). A lot of my relatives drank it when I was younger and, because of the smell, I didn't drink beer until well into my 20s. I do not detect the same smell in either Miller or Coors.

It doesn't taste that awful. In fact, it doesn't taste like much of anything to me. But the smell is BAD.

Am I just crazy?

I don't know about the smell but my old roommate swore Budweiser tasted like blood. Yes, blood.

It was probably the metallic taste from drinking from cans, but still.

I don't know about the smell but my old roommate swore Budweiser tasted like blood. Yes, blood.

It was probably the metallic taste from drinking from cans, but still.

I've had a coppery, metallic taste in draft beer from a bar that didn't maintain it's lines and served old beer.

Nasty stuff.

Oh yeah.... you bet there are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InBev_brands

That doesn't even cover the companies they have stake in.

From their wiki page

# Michelob Ultra Lime Cactus
# Michelob Ultra Pomegranate Raspberry
# Michelob Ultra Tuscan Orange Grapefruit

I had no idea such a beer existed. I kind of want to try one, just to see what it tastes like. Or are these malt beverages like a smirnoff ice?

I don't get how people say bud doesn't taste like anything. It tastes terrible, but it certainly has some taste. Its like every other bad light lager/pilsner, like Heineken. I don't know if its just alchohol with not enough malt background, or too much bitterness to go with the malt background, or what.

But, honestly, I think its got a lot more "taste" then most browns, or hefes, or anything lightly hopped. The "taste" just isn't good.

I don't get how people say bud doesn't taste like anything. It tastes terrible, but it certainly has some taste. Its like every other bad light lager/pilsner, like Heineken. I don't know if its just alchohol with not enough malt background, or too much bitterness to go with the malt background, or what.
Bud's so lightly hopped it barely crosses the human taste threshold for bitterness, so I don't think it's the latter.

All the light American lagers do have substantially more flavor than they get credit for, but only if you drink them warmer than the recommended one-degree-above-frozen. It's very difficult to pick up on any significant flavor at such a low temperature. Served warmer, like at cellar temps, it's certainly flavorful, just not in a particularly good way.

The funny thing is that this isnt a poll as to whether you like Coors light or not.

Honestly, you cant duplicate it or even come close. You can make a beer in a similar style but it wont taste like Coors Light no matter how hard you try.

If your friend just wants a light beer there are a lot of recipes available. If you still need one I can PM you one.

Forrest

The funny thing is that this isnt a poll as to whether you like Coors light or not.

Honestly, you cant duplicate it or even come close. You can make a beer in a similar style but it wont taste like Coors Light no matter how hard you try.

If your friend just wants a light beer there are a lot of recipes available. If you still need one I can PM you one.

Forrest

Right, Yes I need a light beer that would be a good close or good beer for a coors light drinker.....that's it. I know it's a lager but I'd really rather do him an ale.... Any suggestions?

All I wanted was some advice on what to brew.....I don't care who likes coors light or BMC for that matter.....

Right, Yes I need a light beer that would be a good close or good beer for a coors light drinker.....that's it. I know it's a lager but I'd really rather do him an ale.... Any suggestions?

All I wanted was some advice on what to brew.....I don't care who likes coors light or BMC for that matter.....

I have read through about half of these posts. you have been offered more advice on what to brew than any other post with a question like yours.

This has been debated all to hell. Make any one of the 20ish recommendations that you got, your friend will either like it or not. If he doesn't, tell him to go to 711 and cough up $5 for a case. tough $$$it

Man it's okay...I did get some suggestions. I'll search the database as well... I thought this forum as for asking a question like this............ I didn't want all the extra debate stuff.

If your only quest in making Coors Light is looking for a recipe and ingredients only, I think you will have disappointing results. What you need to focus on is the processes used to make Coors Light. If your serious go out and find a Diatomaceous Earth filter somewhere. Most homebrewers don't have the funds, space, and desire to to filter out protien and yeast to make a lesser tasting beer.
From Wikipedia:
Filtration
Individual diatom cell walls often maintain their shape even in commercially processed filter media, such as this one for swimming poolsThe most common use (68%)[citation needed] of diatomaceous earth is as a filter medium, especially for swimming pools. It has a high porosity, because it is composed of microscopically-small, coffin-like, hollow particles. It is used in chemistry under the brand name Celatom or Celite as a filtration aid, to filter very fine particles that would otherwise pass through or clog filter paper. It is also used to filter water, particularly in the drinking water treatment process and in fish tanks, and other liquids, such as beer and wine. It can also filter syrups and sugar. Other industries such as paper, paints, ceramics, soap and detergents use it as a fulling material.

I tried to help. However, when you, the OP, got involved in the "extra debate stuff," I stepped aside. I can't help you if you bait the arguments.

Sorry Man....Hard to not get involved once all that stuff started.........

I really just wanted a simple extract recipe that would produce a beer similar to coors light or light beer....hoping for a ale as I'm not really up for lagers as I'm new.........

If your only quest in making Coors Light is looking for a recipe and ingredients only, I think you will have disappointing results. What you need to focus on is the processes used to make Coors Light. If your serious go out and find a Diatomaceous Earth filter somewhere. Most homebrewers don't have the funds, space, and desire to to filter out protien and yeast to make a lesser tasting beer.
From Wikipedia:
Filtration
Individual diatom cell walls often maintain their shape even in commercially processed filter media, such as this one for swimming poolsThe most common use (68%)[citation needed] of diatomaceous earth is as a filter medium, especially for swimming pools. It has a high porosity, because it is composed of microscopically-small, coffin-like, hollow particles. It is used in chemistry under the brand name Celatom or Celite as a filtration aid, to filter very fine particles that would otherwise pass through or clog filter paper. It is also used to filter water, particularly in the drinking water treatment process and in fish tanks, and other liquids, such as beer and wine. It can also filter syrups and sugar. Other industries such as paper, paints, ceramics, soap and detergents use it as a fulling material.

Yeah I'm gonna fall into not the group that doesn't want to spend money on that............

Think I'm gonna ask the LHBS if he has a quick light beer kit that will get me in the ball park...........

I also didn't realize it would be that hard to make a coors light clone.....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/drinkability-isnt-word-154954/

This is a lighter beer that I make and enjoy. In the opening post, at the bottom, I put in a link for a post later in the thread where I converted it into an extract recipe and also talk about some of the keys to making a good quality light extract beer.

Good luck!

Exactly what I was looking for. So looks like just hops no special grains or steeping? Is there something I can steep in it that would make it a little nicer?

Exactly what I was looking for. So looks like just hops no special grains or steeping? Is there something I can steep in it that would make it a little nicer?

You could steep some 20L crystal or caramel malt, it would add some flavor, color, sweetness and body. But, it would make it less dry, crisp and light. The other thing you could add is some rice syrup, which I mention in the text. Unfortunately, I've never used that and don't know much about it. The point of the rice, though, is the opposite of adding crystal malt - it adds fermentables without much flavor or body.

Good luck!

At the risk of sounding like the "look at me!" type, in case you missed it on page 6, I'll throw my two cents in again: My Simple Recipe

I would definitely follow Pappers' process including late extract and irish moss. I also like to use a secondary to get the beer as clear as I can. I did ferment as a lager, but a good neutral Ale or California yeast should do nicely. If you can find it, I liked the Superior brand lager yeast (Mauribrew 497). It even works great and ferments cleanly at ale temps!

I think I'd avoid any kind of specialty grains since, like Pappers suggested, it pretty much goes against what you're probably looking to achieve. Maybe some Carapils at the most, but even that's probably not necessary - and I know Briess (and possibly others) adds some Carapils to their extracts anyway. Maybe what you could do is up the hops some - give it a little more bitterness, and some flavor and aroma, and perhaps push it more toward a Heineken type if that's something you'd like.

Once the pisswater jokes get old, and the Mods start deleting posts, the naysayers switch tactics and come up with silly arguments as to why it's impossible to make such a beer and worthless to even attempt. I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find more than a handful (if that) on this board who have the resources to brew their beers in the exact same way the beers they try to emulate are brewed, so such arguments go out the window. If you can get close enough that you and your friends are happy, then I'd call it a success! Like you said, it's about the beer.

Since I did my off-topic post, I'll try and do one more on-topic.

EDIT: Discovered flaked corn must be mashed. Removed this portion of my post.

A lager will produce the cleanest taste, theoretically. But a clean ale yeast might get you part of the way there. I hear good things about Safale US-05. And, since it's a dry yeast, it is cheap to boot. Just make sure you control your fermentation temperature.

Back