Coors Home Draft Priming Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthorn9435

Reaction score
I used the same amount of priming sugar as always and I wonder
if this will be okay or will I have to open her at intervals to releave
some of the pressure? I brewed a Autumn Amber Ale from Midwest.
My final gravity ended up at 1.012. I left it sit in the primary for two
weeks before transferring.

I use the same amount of priming sugar I would as if I were bottling. I don't release pressure either. I did the first couple of times I used these things and I had trouble with getting the last few glasses of beer out.

I've used them on several different recipes, apfelwein, cream of three crops and chocolate stout successfully without releasing pressure. Just pop in the CO2 and go!

Thanks for the info. I think these things are awesome. I was going to purchase the TAD but have since decided to get a few of these. The only thing that concerns me is the
reports of the pin that pierces the cartridge failing.

Did you let yours condition standing up or laying down?

bthorn9435 said:
Thanks for the info. I think these things are awesome. I was going to purchase the TAD but have since decided to get a few of these. The only thing that concerns me is the
reports of the pin that pierces the cartridge failing.

Did you let yours condition standing up or laying down?

I conditioned mine laying down with no problems. The only thing is you have to set it upright to open the top to vent all the pressure before you install the new cartridge. This will cause some of that sediment on the bottom to mix into the beer again. I let it sit in the fridge for a day after that to let it settle again.

So is it a must to release the pressure? I guess adding the
CO2 without releaving the pressure would cause it to blow out
the overpressure valve.

I don't release the pressure before I put a co2 cartridge in. My thinking in using these things is to keep the configuration as close to what they do when they fill them. So, I store them laying down and being that I don't release any pressure when I first buy them, I don't bother with releasing any pressure after I've got my own beer in them... :)

I also looked into the TAD a while back and thought it was pretty expensive for what for it was... I was going to hold out for kegging until I saw these in the store. At $20, I looked at it as $10 for a '16 pack' and $10 for a sweet little way to avoid bottling!

Back