Coopers stout ferm temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meni0n

Reaction score
So about 8 days ago I brewed a Coopers stout with about 500g DME and 500g dextrose.

It fermented pretty well, going like crazy for three days and now I am just taking hydrometer readings to make sure it's actually done. My questions is, the fermentation temperature was around 23 degrees which now I am afraid is a bit high. Is there a high chance of having fusel alcohol due to fermentation temperature? I tasted the beer and it tastes great though.

I am new to home brewing and this was my 2nd batch of beer.

Thats about 73 degrees F, thats slightly warm depending on the yeast you used. Just stay on your schedule bottle them, I've had some "hot" beers before and found that they mellowed with age.

when you check the FG,record the number. On the 3rd day,check it again. If the numbers match,it's done. But give it another 3-7 days to clean up any by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. 3-4 weeks in the bottles & they should be cleaned up pretty good. the stouts' flavors may take longer to meld though.

I used the coopers yeast that came with it. From I've read it can take the higher temps better but my next batch I am definitely going to just regulate the temperature in the basement as it's easier.

Cooper's ale yeast produces fruity esters at those higher temps. It also doesn't mean that it won't make off flavors as well. That comes from many experiences with Cooper's ale yeast myself. Follow my suggestions & it'll come out better in the end.

Pretty sure it's done now, last three days it's been at 1.020. I'll wait until the weekend to bottle it and hope it turns out good.

OG was 1.052. So that would give me about 4.2% beer which is fine with me.

It could make bottle bombs when the priming solution wakes up the yeast,though. A 1.052 OG should get down to 1.010-1.012 FG. Swirl up some yeast & let it warm a little if it's cooled down. A day or so & you should see a little fermentation action.

Thank just tried that and giving it another week. If it still stays at 1.020, should I just prime with less dextrose then?

Well,at most,according to tasty brew priming calculator,a stout should be primed to produce a maximum of 2.0 volumes of co2 max to style. so if it ferments out 2 or 3 more points,it should still be safe in the bottles. But I'd rather that the extra week in primary will knock off a few more points first.

I am letting sit for another week and hopefully will bottle it next weekend. I was planning on just using carb drops, with 3 per 1L bottle.

Back