Coopers Draught Q?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mad Hatter

Reaction score
I have never brewed a beer before this attempt. My father and I decided to give it a go and see what it comes out like. I think we have done everything correctly, or at least I hope so. We put it together yesterday. Today the air lock is bubbling like crazy, liiks like a machine gun going off. It is way faster then the mead we have going. I would think that this is OK?

Also, the instructions never really said on how long to let it ferment for. I have it on the shelf now in an Ale Pale, and have not touvhed it since yesterday. I thought about leaving it there for two weeks then racking it into a five gallon carboy for the clearing

That brings me to my next question. Once racked, how long does it usually take to clear on avearge? Two to three weeks? Once cleared, I would like to know the best way to carbonate the brew. Unfortunatlly during clean up my instruction got pitched. Bummer. Is it best to add the corn sugar to each bottle, or is it best to add to the batch, then bottle? How much corn sugar do you need to add to each bottle? That seems a bit easier to me and I would think that it would ensure that each bottle would be "Fizzy".

Thanks for the n00bie advice, I appreciate it. Also, just for a bit more insite what does the coopers Draoght taste like in comparison to?

TMH

Thanks. I appreciate the reply. Another though I just had is what is the best tool to use for racking from the primary to the secondary? I would like think that something with a filter on it would be best to keep some of the floaties out? Maybe if you all have a picture post it up so I can see what I will be looking for. How about the corn sugar in the bottles? How much is needed there? 1/2 tsp maybe?

Thanks again for the reply/ I do appreciate it!

TMH:mug:

I don't have a pic, but I (and quite a few others) use an autosiphon. it has a cap on the bottom that keeps you from drawing in the trub. Basic racking canes also have the same cap.

It's a bit of a pain, but once the autosiphon is going, I'll hold it and slowly let it drop as the fermenter/carboy empties. You'll inevitably suck some trub theough, but it'll settle right out.

As for bottle priming, use 3/4 cup corn sugar. For best results, boil it in a little water to sterilize, then cool and add to the bottling bucket before racking the beer into it. Don't for get to gently stir to mix it evenly. This will make sure that all the bottles carbonate evenly. I haven't bottled in like 10 years, but that's how I did it.

Hey mad hatter - I actually just bottled some Coopers Draft on the weekend. Personally I leave it in the ale pail for 1 week - usually with the coopers kits fermentation is complete by then - but it can vary depending on temprature or yeast quality etc....

Usually fermentation starts within 24 hours max - I dont have an air lock on my ale pail - i just slightly lift the lid now and then to let some of the gas escape so it doesnt blow the lid clean off.

After a week i rack to a glass carboy - you are going to need a racking cane and some tubing to get the beer into the glass. Also you may want to purchase an auto-siphon. For my first 25-30 gallons I used to just suck on the end to get the siphon started but the auto siphon makes life alot easier and cleaner.

After it is in the carboy usually it will be nice and clear after 2 weeks - if you have lots of patience 3 weeks is even clearer. As far as carbonation goes you can add corn sugar to each bottle but it is easier to transfer the been back to your ail pale and mix the beer with a cup or so of corn sugar solution - that way the carbonation will be more uniform.

I think that covers how i make it - that kits usually turns out quite tasty - if you have anymore questions just ask

cheers

Thanks for all the good advice. I am glad to find out that it is a tasty brew. I am trying to figure out how to avoid the mud at the bottom of the beer bottles. We like to drink it straight from the bottle. Does mixing the corn sugar into the ale pail help with preventing the mud, or is this something that we will have to live with?

Oh, and just as an FYI. I opened up the closet where I have the five gallons of Coopers and two gallons of Ancient Orange mead, and the smell that is in that room is tremendous. It smells so awesome in there! :rockin:

Thanks again for the help. :mug: :rockin:
TMH

The Mad Hatter said:
Thanks for all the good advice. I am glad to find out that it is a tasty brew. I am trying to figure out how to avoid the mud at the bottom of the beer bottles. We like to drink it straight from the bottle. Does mixing the corn sugar into the ale pail help with preventing the mud, or is this something that we will have to live with?

Oh, and just as an FYI. I opened up the closet where I have the five gallons of Coopers and two gallons of Ancient Orange mead, and the smell that is in that room is tremendous. It smells so awesome in there! :rockin:

Thanks again for the help. :mug: :rockin:
TMH

You will definitely have to live with the sediment in the bottles, it's just a part of the process. If you haven't followed the links posted already, the standard process is to boil 3/4 cup of corn sugar (for five gallons) for a few minutes in about a pint or so of water. Rack the beer into a sterilized bucket, add your corn sugar mixture, stir it in and then bottle the beer.

When I was bottling, I typically did 1 week in primary and then another week in a secondary. I am now kegging and have had success with going 10 days in the primary and then "crash cooling" the beer (dropping the temp to 35-40 degrees -- or as cold as you can -- for 24-72 hours) to clear it before kegging it. I don't know why this wouldn't work well for bottling. It will make your hydrometer samples that much enjoyable too! :mug:

Thanks for the information. Some of the information I have read through in the links. Maybe I am thinking there will be more mud in the bottom then there really will be. Still can not wait though heh. :tank:

Latest posts

Back