Coopers Dark Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SippinSudz

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411615181.464120.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411615222.960229.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411615298.354269.jpg

The above photos are of the Coopers Dark Ale. This is my second brew, first being a mr beer american light. Both brews were in the Mr.Beer 2.5gal fermentor. I used a full can of Coopers Dark Ale LME, no added sugar, with only about 2.5gal of water. Fermented this brew a little high I believe from what I've researched(23°C) for 2 weeks. Bottled in 750ml bottles, with 3 coopers carbonation drops and fermented a second time at about 18°C.

Wonderful carbonation, flavor is creamy and deep with a slightly bitter after taste that I would like to minimize next time. Head was very full and creamy, pics show a small head on my second pour. One pic is up to a bright light which barely penetrates through the pint glass.

I can't wait to start another batch in my new 7gal fermentor. My plan is to brew maybe 4gallon batch, and add some ferment able sugar to bring it up around 7+ % alc.

Very new to this, hope you enjoy my post.

If I understand correctly you brewed a full can of Cooper's Dark Ale (meant to make up a 5 imperial gallon batch) in a 2.5 US gallon batch(Mr. Beer is US gallons right?).

This beer is more than twice as bitter as Cooper's intended for the recipe. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but it could explain the bitter aftertaste you describe. Letting this batch sit for a while (how old is this beer right now?) might let the bitterness mellow a bit. That's what I had to do with the Stout/Dark Ale Toucan I made a couple of years back (Dec 2012?).

This beer is under 4 weeks old from yeast in... It's very, very young but hey, why not. I will be letting a few litres sit for quite some time. Then again let them sit in the fridge. Might save some for a few months.

Headspace a big deal? Wasn't sure if brewing a 20litre batch in a 7gal fermentor was good or bad. Will do more research

I ferment 3.5 gallon all grain batches in my Cooper's DIY fermenter. That's less than half the fermenters capacity. So far no problems with the headspace. I leave my beer in primary for three weeks and then bottle (none of the beers I've made so far require a secondary stage) therefore the CO2 layer remains undisturbed the whole time.

3 weeks isn't too bad if you have a very active yeast. but less active yeast or a big beer that needs more time may get a suck-back 7 air gets in. O2 doesn't sit on top of the Co2, it's absorbed by it...to a point.

My goal was was 20L batch of a Coopers LME full can which is 23L I believe in my 7gal fermentor.

I would be adding some fermentable sugars, 20L total water with wort, and let it ferment for 2 weeks. Secondary in bottles with coopers carbonation drops for 2 weeks, then finally in the fridge to chill from anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks.

Im totally new to this and not picky for the perfect brew(yet), but one day I would love to try an all grain brew.

Back