Coopers commercial ale yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I would like to make a Coopers Pale Ale clone, and I bought a 12 pack of 375mL (13oz) that very beer. The best after date on the box is early February 2020. I've never used liquid yeast before. The bottles are currently upright in the garage and I will leave them that way for a few days for the yeast to settle (it's winter here so nice and cold).

I won't use Coopers dry yeast as that is a different strain from the one in the bottles. Apparently that strain can't be successfully dried.

Would I be pushing it if I were to use the yeast from 10 of those bottles to make a 1.5L (0.4 gal) starter? Or should the starter be smaller?

Would I be pushing it if I were to use the yeast from 10 of those bottles to make a 1.5L (0.4 gal) starter? Or should the starter be smaller?

Much smaller - you don't want to increase the volume by more than 5-10x at each step. Particularly for the first step, use 5x the volume of 1.020 wort with a pinch of yeast nutrient, ideally pressure-cooked for 20 minutes (leave any lids on loose, it goes bang otherwise!). Then once you've got a healthy mini culture, you can multiply 10x in 1.040 wort.

See eg How to Harvest and Culture Commercial Yeast for Homebrewers | American Homebrewers Association

I'll be interested to see how you get on, I've been eyeing the sediment in a bottle of Coopers I bought over here.

Back