Coopers Brew Kits...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the OP, coopers kits are good, depending on your expectations. I started with them, and then moved to extract briefly, now just AG. I don’t regret. They got me started to this wonderful hobby. Their kit was affordable and not loaded with too much technical detail that would have intimidated a beginner. Their fermenter is IMHO the best plastic one in the market, much better than the plastic buckets.

Perhaps this was already told here... don't have time to read the whole thread, and from what I gathered briefly, it may not be a bad idea to skip some posts.

For some reason, the instructions in the cooper’s kits were not made to maximize their quality IMO. For instance, ferment and carbonate for much longer time than they recommend and pay attention to your water. Tap water is not always OK. My water for instance is above 300 ppm alkalinity! That's way too much for some styles. Also I found their small yeast pack not very good. My initial brews improved considerable when I fermented them with another dry yeast, usually something from Safale. Finally, I found the fermentation temps recommended to be to high too, so try to keep it in the mid to upper 60's.

The cooper's ale yeast in the gold sachet isn't designed to ferment below 18C (68F). It seems to me some have tried it,but that's a lil low. I ferment it at 20C (69F),& it works great. Especially in a 1 1/2C starter for a few hours on brew day. More than enough to get a quick,clean,vigorous fermentation. Just maintain proper temps (18-24C,or 68-72F),& you're good. As far as the ale yeast is concerned. And I used spring water this last time,& so far seems to be an improvement.
And I don't buy the "corporate "kool-aid"bs. Let's put away the soap boxes. And yooper...wow I never thought it would get that bad for you. Just for the record folks,yes,yoop & I had some disagreements on this subject. But I never said anything to anyone to jump on her. I say this because I do frequent the cooper's forums. Yes,I've had words with their tech advisor about what I thought was/is ok to do with certain aspects of their kits.
I'm not saying I'm being blamed or whatever. I just feel bad for her. Kinda wish I wouldn't have piped in,since anyone from their site would recognize me. Do any of you ever feel like that? Like you've re-opened Pandora's box,only to regret it?

The cooper's ale yeast in the gold sachet isn't designed to ferment below 18C (68F). It seems to me some have tried it,but that's a lil low. I ferment it at 20C (69F),& it works great.

Like I said my post before, at some point I was not using their yeast anymore because I found others to be better, but I did at least 1 batch with their yeast workiing in the mid 60s, 64-66F, and it worked well.

Huh. That's interesting (best Jack Sparrow voice). I was curious about using other ale yeasts that work in the 68-72F range myself. Just can't make up my mind. Not to mention,keep a high flocculation rate.

The cooper's ale yeast in the gold sachet isn't designed to ferment below 18C (68F). It seems to me some have tried it,but that's a lil low. I ferment it at 20C (69F),& it works great. Especially in a 1 1/2C starter for a few hours on brew day. More than enough to get a quick,clean,vigorous fermentation. Just maintain proper temps (18-24C,or 68-72F),& you're good. As far as the ale yeast is concerned. And I used spring water this last time,& so far seems to be an improvement.
And I don't buy the "corporate "kool-aid"bs. Let's put away the soap boxes. And yooper...wow I never thought it would get that bad for you. Just for the record folks,yes,yoop & I had some disagreements on this subject. But I never said anything to anyone to jump on her. I say this because I do frequent the cooper's forums. Yes,I've had words with their tech advisor about what I thought was/is ok to do with certain aspects of their kits.
I'm not saying I'm being blamed or whatever. I just feel bad for her. Kinda wish I wouldn't have piped in,since anyone from their site would recognize me. Do any of you ever feel like that? Like you've re-opened Pandora's box,only to regret it?

Hey, Im not blaming any one person. Im just saying that some one to say

"My company is the best, i know because I work for them, You opinion sucks, and I am right because I work for them and you cant disagree with me etc etc etc." Is absurd. That is the oorah Company kool-aid I am talking about. Anyone that would resort to that to make a point really doesnt have much of one to make.

Yooper stated her opinion, that is what I asked for. I made my decisions based on not just this board but on many other pieces of info.

I like the Raviolis cold however.. Back in my Army days I used to eat those. Still do every now and again.

And here is to friend ship and good beer lol. :fro:

Not blaming/pointing fingers. It's obvious me & her lock horns now & then,& I just wanted to make the statement I did. Some of my best friends have come from being "lockhorns". Then friends of my whole family. Strange how that works. Anyway,I hope our rantings helped at least a little bit. Cheers,no worries,m8.

I was on the spaghettio's forum today and they agree. I don't need to tweak them and coopers sucks!

So any suggestions for a good extract kit, I already have the caribou slobber, and I am already looking ahead to a good summer time drink. Any suggestions?

I'm looking at the brewer's best kits at the LHBS,& Midwest,since they're the closest. Some one on here says LD Carlson does the Brewer's Best kits. They have some good stuff out of Kent,OH.

IMO brewers best instructions are nit that great. For the same money go for Midwest supplies, Austin home brew or northern brewer. All great

I have the coopers kit and I am very happy with the results, I have brewed the lager kit and the Stout. The lager kit I used the suppiled Brewing sugar and added 1lb of extra light DME fermented@ 72f/22c. It fermented strong for 6 days and I waited an additional week before kegging. I really liked the end result. As far as the Stout , it is fermenting right now. I used the Brew Enhancer 2 and 1lb of Dark DME and it is bubbling away right now, (72f/22c) hopefully it will turn out well also. I know that canned brewing isnt the pinacle of home brew but for me right now, it is easy and makes my spare bedroom smell awsome as it perculates. I do have a LHBS (Just Brew It) The guys there do not look down their noses at me (that I know of) when I buy the canned Coopers. They have been helpful and I enjoy going there. I am sure 1 day I will switch to some other form of brewing, but for now I'm happy with what I am doing. So thumbs up for Coopers!!!!

Back