Cooper brewing kit bad taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerloict

Reaction score
Hi,

Im a newbie and I tried to brew beer with a cooper brewing can but my beer has really bad taste. My hefe has a sour taste, but not in a good way. My stout smell and taste like egg. I carefully cleaned and sterilized equipment in all steps. I used water bottle to brew to make sure to have a really good water. Temperature was around 73-74. Let the beer ferment for 5 day in primary and then 2 week in secondary fermenter. When I tasted it before bottling, it was not good. I decided to bottle it anyway because some people say bad taste can disapear after some week in bottle. After 4 week in bottle, the bad taste does not go away.

I brewed 2 news batch that are now fermenting for 2 week 5 days. The beer smell exactly as the batch before. I put it at a lower tempurature of 19-21 and tried to avoid second fermentation. Im not sure if I should spend some hours bottling it or just dump it...

Do somebody know what error im doing?

It's hard to tell what the problem is from the description. I've never used Coopers products, but when you talk both the smell of rotten eggs (sulfur), I suspect the yeast. A sour taste sounds like a bacterial infection, but you said you cleaned and sanitized everything.

I think you can skip the transfer to secondary if you're only fermenting 2 weeks and 5 days. Transferring only adds the potential for oxidation and infection for that short time period. But make sure you let the beer finish. If you smell sulfur coming from the fermenter, don't package. Let it age out.

Make sure the kit ingredient are good and not too old. Maybe try buying yeast separately, or try a different type of kit or buy it from a different source.

What Mike said about the secondary I will second. You're only opening yourself up for oxidation and potential yuckies in your beer that you don't want...and for what?

Back