Cooling your hydrometer sample

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used Beersmith to adjust the OG, but it's notoriously inaccurate over 100 degrees. I'd tried it. Take the temp of the sample and use the tool and adjust it, then simply cool that same sample. They've been so far off that the first one (taking with 170 degree wort) is useless. I now use a small round pitcher and put ice water in it and cool my sample in that. It takes about 6-7 minutes to get it under 80 degrees, then I check the OG and adjust to the calibration temperature.

I think that's more the equation for adjustment than specifically Beersmith. I had the same problem in my pen and paper days of OG calculations.

I put my sample in the freezer but at this point I'm dialed in enough that my efficiency has only varied +- .5 from what I'm shooting for on "normal" gravity beers.

No, it won't be different. But by then it'll be too late to adjust the boil to suit your actual OG. I've got a new barley crusher, and my efficiency has been varying. I've got from 72-88% efficiency in January. So, I check the OG so that I can adjust the hopping rates. Once my efficiency is dialed in, then I'll probably not worry about the preboil OG as much.

I've used Beersmith to adjust the OG, but it's notoriously inaccurate over 100 degrees. I'd tried it. Take the temp of the sample and use the tool and adjust it, then simply cool that same sample. They've been so far off that the first one (taking with 170 degree wort) is useless. I now use a small round pitcher and put ice water in it and cool my sample in that. It takes about 6-7 minutes to get it under 80 degrees, then I check the OG and adjust to the calibration temperature.

Ok...I didn't think it would change...nor did I think about adjusting my OG...I figured once I was done sparging, what I got was what I got. (I've just started doing AG) 1 batch under my belt. :D

I would never try to measure 170* wort...I've come to find out that even my floating thermometer is off 1-2* once it gets past ~150*...and I also believe the program could be off...I made my reading at 86* and then punched the numbers in and it adjusted...I felt pretty confident about the readings...I nailed my gravities.

I think that's more the equation for adjustment than specifically Beersmith. I had the same problem in my pen and paper days of OG calculations.

I put my sample in the freezer but at this point I'm dialed in enough that my efficiency has only varied +- .5 from what I'm shooting for on "normal" gravity beers.

Of course, this comes to bite me in the ass.

Brewed Orfy's Boddingtons clone and shot for 75% efficiency. Ended up with 83% and I didn't do anything different except both sparges got stuck.

It's not a big deal in a 1.039 OG beer, I got 1.044. Still :mad:

I cooled my sample by putting it in a metal bowl in a snowbank. :drunk:

Back