cooling down secondary to prepare for keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trufleshufle13

Reaction score
I have 2 batches fermenting atm.(my first 2) and i have had my first in the secondary carboy for about a week and a half, i plan on putting it into my corny keg friday.

i was wondering if i put it in the fridge tonight or tomorow until i keg it, about 3 days from now, will it harm it in any way or will it help with the clarity as with cold crashing. i did one week in primary and friday will be my 2 week period in secondary. i plan on doing the force carbonation method and doing the rolling around of the keg to get it ready for that night, which is why i would like to put it in the fridge as soon as possible.

any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I think it will be okay to drop your temp and your beer will be fine.
That said, it sounds like you are in a hurry to get this one ready to drink. You will hear many including myself, recommend letting sit a couple more weeks.
The time really depends on the style you got. The less complex, the less time you need.

I agree with Rich. It will taste better if you let it age. When I keg, I put my carboy in the fridge for a few days before kegging, then rack the already cold beer into the keg and use a carbonating stone to carb it within 15 minutes, no shaking/rolling required.

I see nothing wrong with your method, short of not letting it age a tad longer. :)

its hard because with the internet i have read over 20 different methods of aging. some say just 2 weeks primary then 3 weeks bottling, some say secondary is a must. some say u can have it within 2 and 1/2 weeks and as u must know over 20 other different time frames.

im going on my 3rd week, second week in the secondary. i know i am very impatient, but its my first batch, you cant really blame me. its a Belgian style ale. i have another batch that i will try and let age a lot longer. but if i was going to cut corners with my first and try and get it ready by this upcoming weekend would it be that much worse to keg it after storing in a fridge for a few days.

like i said, i know im rushing it, but i don't really think i can't hold out. i plan on brewing many more batches. just the fact that its my first batch, i just got my kegging system in the mail, and i have friends coming into town this weekend makes waiting nearly impossible. so basically im asking if im still going to get a "decent" brew out of this batch if i keg it at the 3 week mark.

i know i sound extremely stubborn on this, but like i said, i don't plan on stopping any time soon. i see A LOT more brewing in my future even if this one doesnt come out 100%.

EDIT: "carbonating stone to carb it within 15 minutes, no shaking/rolling required." do u think you could explain this a little more, never heard of that method.

Back