Cooling after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppalarge

Reaction score
I'm still fairly new to this and I'm on my 10th or so batch. As a result, i don't have all the equipment yet and one this has got me puzzled.

I used to have access to lots of ice, so after the boil, when cooling I piled the ice into the ice bath and cooled the wort as quickly as possible. I used to suffer from haze but I didn't mind.

Now I have moved house, so don't have access to ice and in the end I started just leaving my wort to cool overnight. Since then I've never suffered from chill haze.

I plan on buying an immersion chiller at some point, but I just wondered if there was an explanation as to why no chill haze on a long slow cooling?

Probably dependent on your grain bill and the adjuncts (whirlfloc, irish moss, etc.) you're adding to the wort. I like to use a product called Firmcap-S during the boil and added just after pitching my yeast. It's a simple, food safe anti foaming agent that can bind haze causing proteins. This has some benefits for a homebrewer:

1) I seldom have a boil over as the fermcap binds to proteins that cause hot break and cold break.
2) I also use whirlfloc or pure irish moss in conjunction, which further binds haze causing proteins.
3) I add another dose of the fermcap to the wort to keep krausening in check. When I use it, it keeps the krausen from blowing off my airlocks/blow off tubes, especially on high gravity beers.

aiptasia said:
Probably dependent on your grain bill and the adjuncts (whirlfloc, irish moss, etc.) you're adding to the wort. I like to use a product called Firmcap-S during the boil and added just after pitching my yeast. It's a simple, food safe anti foaming agent that can bind haze causing proteins. This has some benefits for a homebrewer: 1) I seldom have a boil over as the fermcap binds to proteins that cause hot break and cold break. 2) I also use whirlfloc or pure irish moss in conjunction, which further binds haze causing proteins. 3) I add another dose of the fermcap to the wort to keep krausening in check. When I use it, it keeps the krausen from blowing off my airlocks/blow off tubes, especially on high gravity beers.
I usually use whirfloc tabs as well. I'm going to have to try out fermcap, especially after pitching. Sorry for the thread jack OP.

Back