cooler-round or retangular ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
hello again.

I have been using a 10 gallon coleman cooler with a copper manifold with slits as a mash tun. I trying to get my efficiencies up. I have been told a 10 gallon round cooler with a false bottom will work better, as it wont "channel".

I brew 5 gallon batches, and use around 12 lbs of grain each time, temp about 153 dg. and my hydrometer never gets above 1.050 usually lower.

I have the money to invest, believe I can do it for $100 or so.

is it worth it ??

it sure this has been debated a few times

I like the round rubbermaids. I just run a stainless steel braided line, batch sparging.

I have never fiddled with my grain mill (yet) and I'm usually in the mid-70's on efficiency.

(I'm a little lazy about brewing)

i use a 15 gallon rectangular igloo for mashing (but will be switching to a keggle this weekend), and hit around 78%, and it has a manifold. already soldered the manifold for my sanke keg mash tun ( so i can easily step mash )

I'm going to continue to use my rectangular. i made some size adjustments to my copper manifold as I may have been getting channeling due to it being too close to the cooler walls

Back