Cooler Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
I saw a cooler mash tun on ebay that did not have false bottom but a PVC grid on the bottom of the cooler any have any experience with this type of thing and is it worth it? Here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/Mash-Lauter-Tun-Homebrew-Beer-12-gallon-capacity_W0QQitemZ4436588211QQcategoryZ38172QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. I mean I can probably build one like this for cheaper that what he's selling but in general is a collection grid like that better or should I go with a false bottom?

I have a couple of comments (a bit negative, really):
- He's using PVC which is not intended for mash temps (only rated to 140F)...should have used C-PVC (rated to 180F).
- The 'back' leg of the manifold is right against the wall of the cooler which will encourage channeling down that smooth back wall. It should be several inches away from the cooler wall.

As far as the efficacy of the general principle it's perfectly fine. It's basically a copper manifold made out of something else (should really be C-PVC). It it were C-PVC and the geometry better laid out it would be a-ok in my book. If you were to go to the trouble of constructing it yourself I'd be inclined to go ahead and use copper instead of C-PVC and pay attention to the geometry.

voodoochild7 said:
How is the efficiency on a manifold like that when compared with a false bottom though?

It won't be bad--Palmer recommends that type of manifold. It will also depend slightly on if you batch or fly sparge. You'll get slightly better efficiency (theoretically) fly sparging.

You could build that quite easily on your own for half the price. If I can do it, you can.

i would agree with "the Dude" and say, build your own. its really easy. i built one using a copper manifold and last batch they tell me i got about 73% efficiency. and thats only my second AG batch.

i have a cpvc manifold like that... no problems at all.

build your own, it's much much simpler than it looks.

Yes, you can build your own for about half of what he's asking and probably do a better job to boot! As others have said, get CPVC - not PVC. CPVC is a light tan color. PVC is white.

I batch sparge and average about 75% efficiency. Here's mine:

BrewDay%2004.jpg

I saw some plans online to make the manifold some have holes while others have slits which do you think will be better.

mine has slits in it. im not sure if it would really make a difference. maybe someone else might know better.

Sorry, I should've mentioned mine has slits on the underside. Did them with a Dremel and a cut-off wheel in about five minutes!:)

Okay I found rubbermaid 5 gallon coolers for 18 bucks so I'm gonna do this. I'm gonn go with phils phalse bottom and make a weldless bulkhead. Anyone ever do this and how do you attach the false bottom outflow tube to the bulk head on the cooler.

Rhoobarb said:
Sorry, I should've mentioned mine has slits on the underside. Did them with a Dremel and a cut-off wheel in about five minutes!:)
That's one nice thing about C-PVC over copper, I suppose. Slotting my copper manifold took 20-30 minutes and a couple of cutoff wheels for my dremel. Plus, I looked like a teeny-bopper at the mall in full glitter makeup.

Back