Cooler Mash Tun heat control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsherburn

Reaction score
I've started using a bucket heater in my cooler based mash tun to control my mash temps while garage brewing here in Michigan. I made the small control box for my March pumps and a PID controller. I run the PID controller in "on-off" mode and the setup works well. I typically re-circ my mash while the heater comes on. Sorry about the blurry photo's.....

I have had problems with mash temps living in the state below you. My solution was to cover the cooler in an electric blanket. When I mash in at 152, I'm usually still at 152 an hour later.

Cool, I've thought about that myself being in Montana, but just haven't had enough of a problem with temperature swings to justify a more complicated setup. Then again, I heat my garage in the winter months with a portable propane heater, so I usually hover around 50 degrees even when it's sub zero outside.

Good looking build! I'm curious, do you use a manifold or a false bottom in your cooler? Ever had problems with a stuck sparge when using a pump?

The two burner stand was about $70 from Amazon. I added the valve and site tube to a stainless pot create the HLT. The boil pot has the valve and a strainer. The Mash Tun utilizes a false bottom and I've never had a stuck mash. I use the March pumps to recirculate when the bucket heater comes on and for the Vorloff (sp?).

Latest posts

Back