Cooler mash tun build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ski12568

Reaction score
1) When removing the plastic spigot from the cooler, do you leave the white gasket that is already there or does that get removed also?

2) If I used a BIABag instead of a false bottom, will that change anything?

Thanks

1) Are you using a weldless fitting kit, or DIY'ing it? I went the DIY route, and re-used the rubber o-ring and plastic washer that kinda fits over/around it to create the seal where the 1/2" nipple goes through the hole, and haven't had any leakage. You'll wanna make sure whatever fitting you put on the inside of the nipple clamps that O-ring and washer down good n' tight; I ended up having to add a couple exceedingly short slices of PVC as spacers.

2) Like, just the bag, no stainless braid or bazooka tube or anything? That probably won't work – you'll end up with the bag right up against whatever fitting's on the inside side of the nipple, with all your runnings (and grains!) trying to squeeze through a 1/2" max diameter hole... you'll get a stuck sparge almost immediately. Unless you're somehow holding the bottom of the bag up above the level of the spigot (holy dead space, batman!), you're gonna need something rigid with holes in it to create a larger surface through which your runnings can escape the grain.

1) I'm DIYing it, I ordered the parts separately

2) what if I put an elbow pointing downward? I'm hoping that will create a pocket around the opening

Back