Cooler for 5-6 gallon BIAB mashes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly224

Reaction score
I want to switch to using a cooler for my BIAB mashes as I am having trouble holding my mash temp in my 15 gallon kettle even with it wrapped in insulated blankets.

I usually go for 6 gallons into the fermenter so my batches usually are around 17 lbs or so of grain and 9.5 gallons or so of water to start. Obviously the 10 gallon home depot coolers people use wouldn't work for this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of cooler to use for batches this size?

Thanks!

If you are already going to the step of using a separate vessel to mash, why not sparge while you are at it? I use a 10g cooler and have pushed grain bills to 24 pounds (with sparge, of course). Otherwise, a bigger rectangular cooler would get you where you want to go. The Coleman Xtreme is a popular one, with 50q (12.5g), 62q (15.g), and 70q (17.5g) versions.

Personally, I mash in a bag for easier cleanup, with sparge, with the intent to move towards a single vessel eBIAB with recirculation at some point in the future.

Back