Cooler brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeP

Reaction score
I've been hearing of people fermenting in coolers, not as in refrigerators but like portable coolers like the orange Gatorade ones. I happen to have one of these that I've never even used it's food grade plastic number 2 I believe. The only two reason I could think that it would work is because the lid doesn't screw it just kind of pops in there, and fermenting temps would be hard to control. I have the tools to drill out an air lock hole, and I'm not to worried about the temps getting to hot because I can just put it in our basement which stays about 50 degrees. Any thoughts?

Thoughts?

I think you are misunderstanding what a cooler is for.

A cooler is generally in brewing as a MASH TUN, where the crushed grain and water is mixed together and held at about 150-155 degrees Fahrenheit so that the enzymes in the grain can convert the starch from the grain into sugars. The liquid is then drained out, and fresh water added to rinse more sugar off the grain. That liquid is called wort and is transferred into a vessel called a BOIL KETTLE, and boiled for sanitation with some hops added for a bit of bittering. Then that wort is cooled and placed in a different container, called a FERMENTOR. This is usually a plastic bucket, or plastic of glass carboy, but sometimes a Stainless Steel conical and they yeast do their wonderous jpb of converting sugars into alcohol and CO2, which is then called beer.

That's the process in a nutshell. So people don't ferment in a plastic cooler, normally, but I see no reason why it couldn't be done, it's just not a preferred vessel compared to a bucket. The reason people MASH in a plastic cooler is that they are good at holding mash temp for the entire rest (normally 1 hour).

If you use a cooler, it will keep all the heat in the cooler. It would be very difficult to keep the wort at a 64 F because it is insulated and heat won't be able to get out. You will have some very off tasting beer with high temperatures.

Both of these are interesting, I think I'm going to try and do an open ferment of some apple wine in it and see how that goes

Enjoy your vinegar!
I actually figure out a way to make it work....I think lol and from what I was reading it's perfectly plausible for it to work without making vinegar but either way it's not going to be the life or death of me.

Well good luck. People use a carboy for a few reasons. Wine takes some aging and the carboy is designed to prevent oxidation and an airlock helps prevent acetobacter infections. Not saying it can't be done, but it's much easier with equipment designed specifically for the task. I think a few empty milk jugs would be better...

I don't get it. Why go through all that trouble? Why not go to your hardware store and buy a 5$ food grade bucket at least? The cooler is going to be a pita and for no good reason....

Why go through the added expense and trouble? Carboys and buckets are cheaper and work fine.

With or without the cooler you still need to control temp (though a cooler might be more stable once at temp) - so no savings there.

I see this as an expensive distinction without difference.

I REJECT IT! :)

I'm not really going through any added expensive I'm just experimenting, albert instien said the deffinetion of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting diffenrent results. So I'm going to change it up lol Also I have plenty of brewing equipment now most than the normal homebrewer I just like to do stuff out of the norm. In other words if can create a newer better way to brew rather than a bucket with the need for temp control in cold weather conditions I think 10 bucks worth of ingredients is worth it. When and if this works some people will apreciate my efforts.

So everything is going strong with the cooler brew it is holding a constant temp without any help it's staying a 68 and my basement temps is around 55 sometimes lower.

Back