Cook's champagne bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrymanback92

Reaction score
So I just bottled my first Brett beer. I was able to buy a case of Champagne bottles for 10 bucks from a friend (but only the one case). However, I had been saving up a bunch of Cook's champagne bottles from when my GF and her friends have mimosas.

They were American bottles so in theory they should take a cap, but for the life of me I could not get those things capped. Luckily, I have enough champagne bottles that would cap, so I only had to cage two bottles (which was good cause I only had two caged wine stoppers).

Does anyone know why these Cook's bottles weren't working? I was able to get one capped, but almost broke my capper trying to get it to work on the rest.

This is my capper: http://morebeer.com/products/bottle-capper-red-plastic-magnet.html?gclid=CPKF3f_a87kCFUpBQgodYFIA7Q

I used normal bottle caps, nothing special.

I've used the cook champagne bottles for belgians with a plastic cork and hood. Works really well and super easy.

I'm pretty sure it takes a 29 mm cap (vs standard american caps at 26mm). If thats the case you are a magician for getting one capped :)

Your red capper likely has reversible crimping halves, you just take them out of the slot and reverse (both sides). Then you need to get a 29 mm bell housing like this one (and some 29mm caps):

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/european-bottle-capping-bell-housing-red-baron-capper.html

I tried both European 29mm and Standard 26. I had the same issue with the 26 in that I had to stretch out the cap before it would go on and am not sure it would even hold pressure if I bottled in it. The 29 mm were too big and flopped around a little after capped.
It's really depressing as I had friends save the bottles promising a bottle of finished for 6 empty...

In that case, I'd just use the plastic stoppers those Cook's bottles typically come with. They fit pretty tight as I remember. I used those for my sparkling cider years ago. :mug:

Not sure what size caps they use, but if you are going to cap thicker bottles you need to take the metal plate that grabs the bottle and turn it aroung to the bigger side. I have that same capper and cap a lot of Belgian bottles that way. If you do not turn the. plate around the capper has a hard time closing all the way not sealing the cap well, and will either bind up or even crack the neck.

See my post above. I bottled 12 w/Cooks, red Barron capper, a 29 mm bell (had to buy as it comes with 26mm), and 29 mm caps. Then reverse the crimping halves.

Just as easy as bottling regular beer bottles.

See my post above. I bottled 12 w/Cooks, red Barron capper, a 29 mm bell (had to buy as it comes with 26mm), and 29 mm caps. Then reverse the crimping halves.

Just as easy as bottling regular beer bottles.

Reverse the crimping halves?
I have a table capper and so far the 29 mm are very loose on the cooks bottles

The problem is wanting to disgorge yeast from my cider in the champagne bottles which is easier with a crown cap.

Reverse the crimping halves?
I have a table capper and so far the 29 mm are very loose on the cooks bottles

Maybe your capper does not work for both sizes. With the red barron capper it is meant to do either. But the 29 bell is not included. Anyways the two brass pieces with 180 degree semi circle can be pulled out and stuck back in backwards with the 29mm opening. If you tried to crimp a 29 mms cap with a 26 mm crimp half, it would not close properly and leave them very loose.

Do you have a pic of your capper?

Ok, I have no experience with that type. But if you have the right Bell and cap size, I'm stuck. Looks like you are doing it right to me.

Latest posts

Back