Cooking mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krayton

Reaction score
Has anyone played with a cooking mead? I made a saffron mead a while back and it didn't taste very good lol. It does however work very well to cook with. The wife and a friend love cooking with it and I seen a recipe for a mushroom and garlic mead so I figured I would make another cooking mead. I was thinking garlic, thyme and rosemary... what is everyone's take on it?

How long has it aged? Sometimes it takes a while for the flavors to come around.

I've made an allium wine a couple times - once onion/shallot and once just onion. They're good enough to drink as is (especially if you don't smell them first), and that's what we usually do, but the original idea was for them to be for cooking. Will probably try a garlic on at some point...maybe roasted.

How long has it aged? Sometimes it takes a while for the flavors to come around.
1 August 2017 is when we started the saffron.

Thank you everyone else. I will let you guys know what I do and how it comes out.

I had no idea onions had enough fermentable sugars. Did you have to add sugar or honey?

I might not have been fully awake when I wrote that. It should have said 'allium mead' - which answers your question. Yes, some additional sugars required.

Back