Converting to a partial mash.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
Can anyone help me convert this recipe to partial mash. Its Edworts Stone IPA clone. Or what the calculations are for converting. Thanks alot. I really want to do this recipe, but cant do AG yet, and the only other extract recipe Ive found is for a 3gal batch.

10.5# 2-Row Pale
1 # Munich
1# Crystal 20L
1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Centennial at 45 minutes
1 oz. Centennial at 5 minutes

Safbrew US-56 Dry Yeast

Dry hop with 1 oz. Centennial

search the forums. converting grain to liquid or dry malt extract gets answered about once a week.

in radical brewing randy mosher has a conversion calculation thats pretty simple. liquid malt extract: 85 percent of recipe (in your case it would be 8.925 lbs of light extract) or for dry it is 65 % of recipe which would be 6.825 lbs of dry extract. that is assuming that you only want to replace the base grain (the 2 row). if you have the capacity you could replace only as much of the base grain as you need to, ie. if you can mash 4 lbs of grain than do than do 2 lbs 2-row, 1 lb munich, 1 lb crystal and 7.25 lbs liquid malt. with this you will get a negligibly higher original gravity but who doesnt like more alcohol? but if you can only do 2 lbs of grain than what i wrote earlier should work, although it wont be perfect.

The conversion part is easy...what you need to do is decide how much grain you want to use...that's the hard part.

Let's see what you have:

10.5# 2-Row Pale = 6.3 lbs DME, Extra Light recommended
1 # Munich = .6 lb DME
1# Crystal 20L = .6 lb DME

Total approx DME used 7.5 lbs.

How big is your boil? I do 2.5, sometimes 3 tops. I like to keep my boil water and poundage about equal. With 2.5 gals to boil I'd use 2.5 lbs DME

I would definitely use the Munich and Crystal (that's 1.2 lbs equivalent). This leaves about 1.3 bs of DME for the boil (after the steep/mash water poured).

From here you can boil about 45 mins for the hop bitterness extraction, remove pot off the burner, add the remaining DME (5 lbs, added 1 lb at a time to make sure it dissolves) and steep that for 15 mins and you're done.

At least this is what I would do. :D

I'd leave some 2-row in there if he has room in his spaghetti pot or whatever he's mashing in. More grain is always a good thing.

StoneRecipe1.jpg

There are some formulas out there.. but honestly Beer Smith only costs $20.

The program will do any kind of conversion, plus a million other things. Definitely worth it.

I'd leave some 2-row in there if he has room in his spaghetti pot or whatever he's mashing in. More grain is always a good thing.

I agree - we do need to know how much grain he can mash. Personally I shoot for 4-5 lbs of grain to mash, sparge up to a 3 gallon boil and then hold all of my extract until the last 10 minutes. But it does depend on how much you can mash and boil.

I always total the specialty grains and use an equal amount of 2-row. Subtract that from the base and multiple the balance as hopsy says.

Yes, Munich can convert itself, but KISS.

Back