Converting Mr Beer HME to a grain recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamGotOil

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have found a Mr Beer recipe that I like, but I would like to do it as an all grain recipe. Is there any way to convert the Mr Beer Golden Ale HME to a grain recipe. Is there anyone that could tell me what grains and hops would make a good substitution?

My suggestion would be to find an all grain kit that sounds tasty at your local home brew shop or online retailer. There are a million and one recipe kits out there that are designed and tested to get you a good result out of the box. Save the trial, error and disappointment of recipe conversion for down the road when you have more experience under your belt.

From scratch with no info is kinda tough as CostalBrew mentioned. It's a bit easier with some information which I do not really find on the site.
Just OG, FG, ABV, IBU and a mention of "American hops".
You could just randomly fill in the blanks to fit the specs. Maybe Pale ale malt with some crystal malt, cascade hops.
You could try a forum post or email to the Mr. Beer folks and see if they would give you a clue for ingredients.
You could do as CostalBrew suggests and choose an all grain kit that sounds good to you.
Looking at your previous posts, will the brewing system you ordered be your first introduction to all grain brewing?

There are plenty of rational, "Golden Ale" all grain recipes on the web, including the BeerSmith public repository.
They all look pretty simple. For one example, pilsner base malt (60%), some white wheat malt (15%), some Munich (15%), and some Caramunich (10%) and then whatever hops suits the brewer's fancy (Amarillo seems pretty popular)...

Cheers!

From scratch with no info is kinda tough as CostalBrew mentioned. It's a bit easier with some information which I do not really find on the site.
Just OG, FG, ABV, IBU and a mention of "American hops".
You could just randomly fill in the blanks to fit the specs. Maybe Pale ale malt with some crystal malt, cascade hops.
You could try a forum post or email to the Mr. Beer folks and see if they would give you a clue for ingredients.
You could do as CostalBrew suggests and choose an all grain kit that sounds good to you.
Looking at your previous posts, will the brewing system you ordered be your first introduction to all grain brewing?
Yes, will probably be my first full blown all grain brew. I have done several extract kit, both Mr Beer and Northern Brewer. And I have done 3 or 4 BBS all grain 1 gallon kits. My beers are getting better with practice. I am excited to get started with 5 gallon all grain recipes. Thanks for your advice.

There are plenty of rational, "Golden Ale" all grain recipes on the web, including the BeerSmith public repository.
They all look pretty simple. For one example, pilsner base malt (60%), some white wheat malt (15%), some Munich (15%), and some Caramunich (10%) and then whatever hops suits the brewer's fancy (Amarillo seems pretty popular)...

Cheers!
Thanks for the advice!

My suggestion would be to find an all grain kit that sounds tasty at your local home brew shop or online retailer. There are a million and one recipe kits out there that are designed and tested to get you a good result out of the box. Save the trial, error and disappointment of recipe conversion for down the road when you have more experience under your belt.
Thanks. I will do that! Thanks for the info.

Back