converting chest freezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman59

Reaction score
I wanted to convert a chest freezer and put shanks in the front my question is I have seen the collar installed on the freezer lids or on the top of the freezer itself. Which is the prefered way

It is a personal choice. I personally like the collar to be afixed to the freezer rather than the lid, don't want to have to ever worry about it falling on my head from the weight. Also, if you put the collar on the lid, when you open it up you will have to deal with the beer lines in your way. Also, seems as if you can make the collar much more sturdy and don't have to worry about wear and tear over time making it weak and misshaped.

It is a personal choice. I personally like the collar to be afixed to the freezer rather than the lid, don't want to have to ever worry about it falling on my head from the weight. Also, if you put the collar on the lid, when you open it up you will have to deal with the beer lines in your way. Also, seems as if you can make the collar much more sturdy and don't have to worry about wear and tear over time making it weak and misshaped.

Ditto Gregredic... it's personal choice. But I think with the collar on the lid actually gets the lines out of the way... one can cable-tie them to the lid from the tap towards the back, so that the only section of beer tubing not out of the way is where it connects to the keg.

I also connected mine to the freezer. The plusses: it's easier, no need to prop up the lid when changing kegs. The negatives: have to lift the kegs up higher to get them in, tubing and taps can get in the way when loading kegs.

Back