converting all grain to DME having issues with IBUS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
I wanna make a alien church clone, And am trying to follow this recipe but make it DME and make double it to make it about 5.5-6 gallons in the fermenter.

https://brewgr.com/recipe/64688/tired-hands-alien-church-clone-recipe
But when using a calculator after doubling all the ingidents and using 0.6 x the grain amount for DME

my IBUS are coming out to 80+ when they should be around 65 and im not sure why?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 3.16.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 3.16.37 PM.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 3.16.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 3.16.37 PM.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 19
Which recipe calculator are you using?

It looks like you posted the same screen shot twice.

Be aware that screenshots are likely to be hard to read on mobile devices - which will limit the number of people who might be able to help out. Even on 1920x1080 Windows laptop, attached screenshots are not easy to work with.
I was using brewers friend recipe builder. I just dont get why the IBUS are off

I have no experience with Brewer's Friend recipe calculator, can't help you there.
I know many brewers really like it, it's very flexible. There are many fields and parameters that can be adjusted. As with any tool, you really need to learn to use it, so look for instructions, and some guides perhaps?

You've only posted a partial screen print, so it's hard to see what's what.
Maybe there's a value missing or entered somewhere that throws your IBU calc off?

I see there's a Hop Utilization field, that's customizable, same for Whirlpool Temp. You have 212 F entered in the Whirlpool temp. field but WP temps are rarely 212F. Whirlpool hops are added after flameout, usually at reduced temps. And for a certain time. Your value for that field is set to 0. Those don't look right.

I suggest trying another recipe formulator. For example, try BeerSmith and compare. BeerSmith offers a free 2 week trial.

Nothing to do with hops, but when converting recipes from all grain to extract, some grains, and all adjuncts, cannot be steeped, they need to be mashed. That can be accomplished, when brewing with extracts, by doing a mini mash/partial mash.

In that light, the "original" recipe in Brewgr you linked to, contains Oat Malt and Flaked Oats. There is no extract that I know of that includes oats. So if you want to use oats, they need to be (mini) mashed with an equal amount of diastatic 2-row or another suitable malt.
You could also replace the oat malt (it may be hard to find) with more flaked oats.

Last edited:
I have no experience with Brewer's Friend recipe calculator, can't help you there.
I know many brewers really like it, it's very flexible. There are many fields and parameters that can be adjusted. As with any tool, you really need to learn to use it, so look for instructions, and some guides perhaps?

You've only posted a partial screen print, so it's hard to see what's what.
Maybe there's a value missing or entered somewhere that throws your IBU calc off?

I see there's a Hop Utilization field, that's customizable, same for Whirlpool Temp. You have 212 F entered in the Whirlpool temp. field but WP temps are rarely 212F. Whirlpool hops are added after flameout, usually at reduced temps. And for a certain time. Your value for that field is set to 0. Those don't look right.

I suggest trying another recipe formulator. For example, try BeerSmith and compare. BeerSmith offers a free 2 week trial.

Nothing to do with hops, but when converting recipes from all grain to extract, some grains, and all adjuncts, cannot be steeped, they need to be mashed. That can be accomplished, when brewing with extracts, by doing a mini mash/partial mash.

In that light, the "original" recipe in Brewgr you linked to, contains Oat Malt and Flaked Oats. There is no extract that I know of that includes oats. So if you want to use oats, they need to be (mini) mashed with an equal amount of diastatic 2-row or another suitable malt.
You could also replace the oat malt (it may be hard to find) with more flaked oats.
wait so the DME will not extract what I need out of the oats?

wait so the DME will not extract what I need out of the oats?
DME is just that, Dry Malt Extract, malt sugars. It has no diastatic power (starch converting enzymes) or conversion/extraction capability.

Some malts can be steeped, such as crystal malts, darker roasted malts, and a few others.

Oat malt is a base malt. It has fairly low diastatic power, it can convert itself, not much more than that. It needs to be mashed.
Flaked oats is a starchy adjunct, needs to be mashed together with a diastatic malt (or added enzymes) to convert the starches to sugars.

Here's the legend for Brewer's Friend's Recipe Editor:
https://docs.brewersfriend.com/faq/recipes#recipes11
Some fields look exclusive to BF, not seen elsewhere, such as "Hop Utilization:"

Pellet hops impart a + 10% utilization factor, but only with the Tinseth IBU equation.​

It's important to understand the meaning of fields before using or changing them.

DME is just that, Dry Malt Extract, malt sugars. It has no diastatic power (starch converting enzymes) or conversion/extraction capability.

Some malts can be steeped, such as crystal malts, darker roasted malts, and a few others.

Oat malt is a base malt. It has fairly low diastatic power, it can convert itself, not much more than that. It needs to be mashed.
Flaked oats is a starchy adjunct, needs to be mashed together with a diastatic malt (or added enzymes) to convert the starches to sugars.
How would you go about doing this if it was a beer you are brewing

How would you go about doing this if it was a beer you are brewing
I brew all grain, just double the ingredients and tweak some.

But if I had to convert that Brewgr recipe to partial mash/extract, double all ingredients to brew 6 gallons.

1. If you can't source oat malt and have it milled appropriately (very narrow gap) it should look like fine grits, substitute with flaked oats. Quaker or generic store brand "Old Fashioned," "Quick Oats," or "Instant Oats" from the grocery store is fine. They can be used whole, don't need to be milled.

2a. When substituting flaked oats for oat malt:
Mini-mash 4 pounds of flaked oats PLUS equal amount (4 pounds) of (milled) 2-row in 12-16 quarts (3-4 gallons) of water at 154F for 1 hour.
Lauter, sparge 2x. It's gonna be sticky, stir well and be patient. Lauter, then batch sparge 2x.

2.b When using 2 pounds of oat malt and 2 pounds of flaked oats, only add 2 pounds of (milled) 2-row to the 4 pounds of oats, and mash with 9-12 quarts (2.5-3 gallons) of water.

3. Adjust the amount of extract needed. This depends on how much grain you used in the mini-mash and the gravity and volume of the resulting wort (how many points of gravity collected).

4. Largely depending on size of kettle, heating source, and chilling method:
Add more water and some of the extract, or add later.
Boil that for 60'.
Add boil hops per schedule (until you get to your whirlpool hops)

5a. If doing a full volume boil, add the rest of extract at flameout.
Chill to the whirlpool temp, and add the whirlpool hops.
Chill and transfer to your fermenter.

5b. If doing a partial boil, leave the balance of the extract for later.
Chill to the whirlpool temp, and add the whirlpool hops.
Chill and transfer to fermenter.
Heat enough water to dissolve the balance of the extract, keep at 150F for 10' to pasteurize.
Chill and add to fermenter.
Top up with water to your recipe's volume (6 gallons).

I hope I covered all the principles...

Last edited:
Back