Convert all grain to BIAB no sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leukass

Reaction score
Hello

So i have only ever brewed all grain- with fly sparge - once I got past my extract days. But i am in a bind - with 2 empty kegs in my kegorator... Want to go for a faster brew day and brew 2 batches in one day - Want to try this Brew In A Bag thing with no sparge method. That way i can have 2 kettles going at once... I have looked in Brew Father, Brerwer's Friend and Beersmith, and i am not finding a way to take one of my existing all grain recipes and convert to BIAB with no sparge....

I have to assume my efficiency will be down so i need to increase my grain bill - but i can't seem to figure out how much... Is there a general percentage I can use and just increase in grain by say 15% or whatever it is?

Thanks for the help!!

Hello

So i have only ever brewed all grain- with fly sparge - once I got past my extract days. But i am in a bind - with 2 empty kegs in my kegorator... Want to go for a faster brew day and brew 2 batches in one day - Want to try this Brew In A Bag thing with no sparge method. That way i can have 2 kettles going at once... I have looked in Brew Father, Brerwer's Friend and Beersmith, and i am not finding a way to take one of my existing all grain recipes and convert to BIAB with no sparge....

I have to assume my efficiency will be down so i need to increase my grain bill - but i can't seem to figure out how much... Is there a general percentage I can use and just increase in grain by say 15% or whatever it is?

Thanks for the help!!
What's your efficiency now? I'm usually 75-82% mash efficiency with BIAB in BeerSmith with beers up to 1.080. You could adjust accordingly. I would say shoot for 75% as long as you double crush your grain.

Hello

Thanks for the help!!

Do you have your own mill? The great thing about BIAB is the ability to utilize a much finer milling than a conventional mash tun. With the finer milling you can get high efficiency and a shorter mash period.

If you have the same milling job done as you did with your fly sparge I would expect your efficiency to be lower than the fly sparge by 15% or so. The only way to be sure is to make a couple batches.

Do you have your own mill? The great thing about BIAB is the ability to utilize a much finer milling than a conventional mash tun. With the finer milling you can get high efficiency and a shorter mash period.

If you have the same milling job done as you did with your fly sparge I would expect your efficiency to be lower than the fly sparge by 15% or so. The only way to be sure is to make a couple batches.
I do have my own mill - i think i will shoot for a extra 15% of grains.... see how it goes

I do have my own mill - i think i will shoot for a extra 15% of grains.... see how it goes

Try that for one batch, then tighten your mill some and see what you get. When I started BIAB I bought a Corona style mill since the nearest LHBS with a mill was 100 miles away. My first batch I did with no sparge and was expecting a 1.050 wort. Instead I got wort of 1.070 because the very finely milled grain had superb mash efficiency.

I have looked in Brew Father, Brerwer's Friend and Beersmith, and i am not finding a way to take one of my existing all grain recipes and convert to BIAB with no sparge....

In BeerSmith, in the mash profile, check the box for "BIAB Mash with Full Boil" and it will be a full-volume, no-sparge mash.

In BrewfFather choose "No Sparge" in the equipment profile.

Load the recipe into your software of choice with your current equipment stats, then scale the recipe by selecting a BIAB equipment profile with efficiency set to about 70%.

FYI: contrasting BIAB to "all grain" is poor choice of terminology because BIAB is an all grain brewing method. Fly Sparge vs. Full Volume BIAB makes sense.

Back