Conversion ratio's from extract recipe to all-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goin2brew

Reaction score
I brewed a Spiced Winter Ale using extract that is tasting great. I tried converting this recipe to all-grain using the basic formula of: 1 lb of grain = .75 LME = .6 DME. My all-grain version doesn't taste as sweet or spicey as the extract version.

Do I have to adjust the spice and honey levels as well? or should I look at another aspect of my conversion?

Papazian says 1 lb pale malt grain = .9 lb LME = .7 lb DME

Hops utilization has to be adjusted when you go from a partial boil extract recipe to a full boil all grain recipe, but i would guess that spices should be added in the same amount.

That could explain the lower spice presentation since I used a higher grain to extract ratio in my conversion. I'll try Papazian's ratio for my next batch.

Thanks,
Dogphish

I figured out the amount of grains using both methods and I used about 1.5LBS more grain for the same recipe.... That would definitely explain it. :)

there is no set conversion of grains to extract. it depends on your mash efficiency.

I think 1lb. LME in 1gal. water = 1.036 SG, and 1lb. DME in 1gal water = 1.042 (not sure though).

if you browse for mash conversion you should be able to find an answer pretty easily

Target OG = 1.058 - 1.060
Measured OG = 1.055

Target FG = 1.014 - 1.016
Measured FG = 1.011

Potential ABV 6%
Calculated ABV 5.78%

5.5 oz Crystal 80L
1.5 oz American Black Patent
6.50 LB American Two-row Pale
--------------------------------------------
1.5 cups Honey to Boil

I should mention that I used the BIAB method with 2.5 gallons of mash H20 (1.44qt per pound of grain) 154 degrees x 60 mins.

I assumed 1.25 gallons of grain absorption during mash.

I used 3 gallons of sparge water in a second pot and soaked the grains for 10 mins at 170 degrees. Then combined both pots for the full boil.

90 minute boil of 4.25 gallons assuming 3/4 gal evaporation. Will leave me with 3.5 gallons of fermentable wort.

Back