"Controversial" Topics...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZymurgist

Reaction score
http://accidentalis.com/archives/835

... or not. I thought this was a great article. It discusses a few topics that homebrewers seem to beat to death and ridiculously argue over, even though we are fully aware of the results.

My favorite line:

"Controversies are generally created out of lack of empirical information and the stubbornness of humans unwilling to look at the other side of an argument. We naturally chase metrics that allegedly prove our skills are superior..."

It's always funny to me when someone gets on a forum (any forum, not just this one) and brags about how their process is superior and controversial, because it goes against "conventional norms." Usually, it just comes off as just trying to stroke their own ego. But I'm not sure which is worse, the ones that make the original post, or those that actually get their panties in a wad over it...

[EDIT] And I truly don't mean this to be mean-spirited or to attack anyone. I thought this article was very informative and addresses many issues that we all encounter. Debate is good, when that debate is productive. Debate can also hinder, however, when people dig their heels in and say their way is the absolute end-all, be-all.

I was really hoping to see hot side aeration in that article...

I hung out with a couple of AB brewers recently (one was brewhouse and one moved into cellar) and one of them was a homebrewer as well. It was absolutely hysterical to watch the non-homebrewer learning about some of the stuff we do, and when the topic of HSA came up he just laughed. Their chilling method involves pouring beer down a long "chute" (I never saw a picture of it) and blasting air straight up through it. He had a hard time understanding why theres always this big fuss over it.

Well, it's like they say, who's the bigger fool? The fool, or the fool who follows him? And every now & then, one of those controversial process modifications isn't just a fluke or a troll. It's interesting to see how the philosophical arguments pan out when it proves to at least have some merit. whatever "it" might happen to be. Other times, you have to bite your tongue & remember not to feed the trolls. That's just what they want. But some long winded philosophical arguments turn out to be quite the learning experience. Other times still, a draw at best. But that's part of the fun around here. :mug:

billymadison.gif

BIAB in a plastic bucket is way better than a giant baby bottle. :rolleyes: And we MUST all agree that Billy klubb needs to start a brewpub called The Billy Club...:rockin:

When I see people talk about the great lengths they go to concerning hermetically sealing their fermenters, I think of Monk in that clean room, dressed in the white coveralls and face mask.

Latest posts

Back