Controlling Temp of HLT with gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would really appreciate some advice. I’ve got a 100ltr HERMS set up powered by gas. I have everything set up and ready to go but I can’t seem to find any equipment out there that allows me to control the temp using gas. I want a tower of power (blichmann) setup which is controlled by PID and when the burner needs to kick in a solenoid allows a spark which lights the burner until temp then turns off. All the advice I get currently is “just watch the temp and higher the burner if more heat is needed” I really need to regulate the temp accurately so has anyone done this or knows of equipment? I could get a gas engineer to have a look but wanted to check first

fwiw, there was a gas TOP unit by Blichmann that fully equipped would do what you're asking.
But I believe that's being or is phased out in favor of their latest "Brew Commander" offering, which has a gas option with automagic ignition that should do what the gas TOP used to do and then some.

https://www.blichmannengineering.com/brewcommander.html

Otherwise, what many have done is integrate a Honeywell furnace controller with either standing pilot, hot surface ignition or spark ignition, controlling one or two external solenoid valves (two valves for the ignition options). There are relevant threads running back in time on HBT, this being one of the more extensive ones:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/gas-and-temperature-control-for-dummies.116632/

Cheers!

Appreciate the feedback and advice, I did see the brew commander and it does look interesting. I’m going to speak to a friend of mine who is a gas engineer to see what they think. I might try to bribe him with the offer of free beer once up and running!

Back