Controlling mash temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52mgtd

Reaction score
My brewery has a 10 gallon capacity so my kettles are 15 gallons. My problem is adequately managing mash temperature. Direct heat doesn't work because the false bottom can act as a barrier to heat flow, I don't like recirculating the wort, and I have tried a heat exchanger (copper line) in mash tun but the pump works well at lower temperatures but when I raise the temp in the hot liquor tank the pump seems starved and nothing flows. I have increased the size of the line feeding the pump and the pump is below the hot liquor tank. So what's going on?

I can't speak to the thermodynamics of pumping hot fluids, so maybe someone else can help you.

You will have to face the facts with regards to the possibilities though. You either need to heat from below with a burner, heat from within with an element, or recirculate one way or the other.

I do BIAB and heat from below using a hot plate and a temp controller. When the heat goes on, I stir. There is nothing you can do to change the laws of physics. The grains, false bottoms, and equipment will stratify the heat.

Latest posts

Back