Controlling fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejuanald

Reaction score
So it's getting warmer (my thermostat says the ambient temperature without the heater/cooler on is 67F) and I want to ferment in the low 60's. a temperature controller for a fermentation chamber is my next project but for now, is there anything I can do to keep the temperature down? I was thinking of putting the carboy in a small amount of water to see if that might keep the temperature down.

I will be using WLP001 which ferments around 68-73 but I figure the temp will go up pretty significantly during active fermentation.

Yea put the carboy in a "muck bucket" and put in just enough water so it won't float. Then use 1/2 gallon bottles of ice that you can re-use over and over to keep the temp down. That's what I did here in Hawai`i until I bought a freezer and temperature controler.

We have some heat too. I rotate frozen water bottles. Two in the freezer and two in the cooler. I swap the every 12 hours or so. I don't put water in the bottom of the cooler though. Good luck.

image-189512308.jpg

image-823958212.jpg

Latest posts

Back