Control power

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKHA

Reaction score
On my current control box I pull my 110 power off one of the main legs and it works great. thinking out loud on future project could I use a L14 style connector and use one of the prongs to carry a separate 110

Running power from two separate curcuits or two separate controls is very dangerous.

But if you are already running 240V through the plug & have all 4 wires connected through you would have 240V available across both poles and 120V available from either pole to ground.

On my current control box I pull my 110 power off one of the main legs and it works great. thinking out loud on future project could I use a L14 style connector and use one of the prongs to carry a separate 110

Depends on what you mean by 'separate'. A properly wired L14 will have the phases connected to the two poles of a tandem breaker (2 pole breaker or 2 single pole breakers with the toggles tied together), and the other terminals connected to, respectively, the panel neutral and the panel ground. If separate means anything else then this then it would not be kosher.

I know this is not kosher or code but doing it in the panel box not the control panel
brew--58965.jpg

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with this - designers make custom equipment connections all the time. The issue is that you are using a industry standard plug in a nonstandard configuration and years later the nonstandard wiring can bite you when you make changes & forget what you did before.

Back