Control Panel Upgrade Question, AKA attn: PJ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknifefight

Reaction score
My electric build was based off of this drawing of PJ's:
Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-BIAB-30d8-s.jpg

I have plans to upgrade it to a 2 PID, 2 element, 2 pump system and there is more than enough room in my enclosure box for the extra equipment. I plan on going to a HERMS but do not have a HLT and have a cooler to mash in.

My SSR has gone bad (should have ordered the good one from Auber) and I need to replace it. Shipping for just the SSR is enough money that I might as well order the extra equipment I need for the upgrade while I am at it.

Looking at other wiring diagrams, the closest I could find to my intended upgrade was this:
Auberin-wiring1-b4-5500w-30a-e-stop-8b.jpg

It is a little different than my intended end result though. I want 2 PIDs (mostly for aesthetics), and will need a second SSR because of this. I will use a 3-way selector switch to swap between elements, since I am on 30A.

So, PJ, savior and grand champion of this forum, do you have such a wiring diagram? I am pretty sure I would be fine winging it from the original drawing I used, but would like a little extra confidence from you if possible.

It helps if you have a basic understanding of what your doing.... There are dozens of diagrams of dual element/ dual pid setups working off both 30a circuits with a selector switch to switch the relays and prevent both elements from commingle on as well as 50a setups with no selector switch which allows both elements at once...
That said its not rocket science.... you just double the wiring from the pid to the element and if you only have 30a you put a two way switch in the mix to only allow voltage to activate one coil in the contractor/relay at a time....

PJ I think he want you to show him how to wire in the switch to select between coils for each element and show a diagram of that between the wiring for two pids.

I have that exact setup and can confirm there are tons of diagrams already here showing this very configuration.

Sorry about any confusion of what I was asking.
30 Amp, (2) 5500 Watt Elements, (2) PIDS, (2) Pumps
Being 30 Amps, I need a 3 way selector switch to switch which element has power.
From everything I have seen 30 Amps, the 2 PIDs are not needed but I want them for aesthetics. I worked off of a (2) Element, (1) PID drawing and came up with this. Please let me know what you think of it.
Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-BIAB-30d8.jpg

Thanks for looking it over augiedoggy. I searched all over the electric forum and couldnt find exactly what I was looking for. All the 30A drawings have 1 PID and 1 SSR. I realize that's all you need but I have the auber enclosure box with the 3 square holes cut in it, so I want the second PID.

Thanks for looking it over augiedoggy. I searched all over the electric forum and couldnt find exactly what I was looking for. All the 30A drawings have 1 PID and 1 SSR. I realize that's all you need but I have the auber enclosure box with the 3 square holes cut in it, so I want the second PID.
I used a third pid just as a temp readout for my mash/ herms system so four cutouts in my crowded box.

Back